Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Annie at Pre-K

Annie is very happy to be back at school.  She's had to wait a long time after Delaney's first day -- 9 days.  She kept asking about when she would get to go to school, and today was finally the day.

We went to the school's open house this past Friday.  We were the first to arrive.  Annie was very bashful when her teachers greeted her.  This year she has Mrs. Ann who was Delaney's pre-k teacher too, and Ms. Titi whose real name is Kristy but the kids named her Titi.  The teachers invited her to look at any one of several stations -- blocks, play kitchen, doll house, books, coloring, or a few others.  At first she just stood there uncertainly, but finally she sat down with Titi at the bead table.  While they sat there stringing beads, Ms. Titi asked her a few questions now and then but was mostly quiet.  I think that helped put Annie at ease.  When grownups are super chatty with her she just shuts down.   Before we left, Titi asked her for a hug and she gave her one.
The emphasis is still on playing, even as they prepare her for kindergarten.  I think that's a good thing.  I believe in the saying that a kid's play is their work.  Soon enough they'll be spending all day at school and then having 45 minutes of homework at night (Delaney!).  
12 kids in the class and only 3 are girls.
This morning was her first day of school.  At breakfast she was excited about going on the swings and not needing any of the teachers to push her.  She is so proud of herself for that.  It tickles me.  She loves that she can do something her big sister can't.  I snapped some pictures of her at our house with my lovely homemade sign I did all by myself at the last minute.  The fact that I had the markers and paper out at 8 in the morning is probably why I forgot to bring the snack that it was our turn to provide for the class.  I had to go back and get it, and that meant I could not go running today.  (Alright, it was an excuse.  I COULD have gone running, but the house was a mess and there were other things that needed to be done in the remaining hour-and-a-half before I needed to go back to get Annie.  Better luck getting it together on Friday!)
I took one more before we walked into the building.
Here she is on her first day last year.  She looks so small and unsure of herself.
And here she is being walked to the car three hours later by Ms. Titi.  (Calling a teacher "Titi" -- that's going to take getting used to.)
Here's how our conversation went after I picked her up:
Me:  Did you have fun at school?
Annie: Yes.
Me:  What did you do?
Annie:  I played on the playground and swinged on the swings.
(Later at home)
Me:  What was the first thing you did when you got to school?
Annie:  Someone painted my hands red and blue.
Me:  And then what did you do?  Did you make hand prints all over the classroom?
Annie:  No.  Then I washed it off.
Me:  Did you play at any of the stations?
Annie:  I played with the dollhouse.
Me:  Who did you play with?
Annie:  Abigail -- I played with Abigail with the dollhouse.

Later she retrieved the self-portrait she'd made that day, from the car:
She goes on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays for three hours.  I think she's going to have a great year.

No comments:

Post a Comment