We drove to Cincinnati for Christmas this year, our first super-long car trip with all seven of us in our Subaru Ascent that seats exactly seven. It went amazingly well. Everything was in our favor as far as traffic and weather, and Thomas handled it pretty well. We stopped only twice, and it took us 10.5 hours.
I stayed with Timmy and Thomas at the "Jeffersonian," which is what I like to call my parents' house. Tim got a hotel to stay at with the other kids, so that everyone might be comfortable.
The day after we arrived, Tim and three of our kids accepted an invitation from Scotty and Faith to go spend a day at their Airbnb about an hour away in Kentucky. It is what you might call a hobby farm--lots of land and things to do, animals, fishing, hunting, canoeing, etc. They all had so much fun; it was just what they needed after a whole day spent in the car. I stayed at my parents' because I had a whole mountain of packages to open and gifts to wrap. Annie was a big help with Thomas so that both Mom and I could be upstairs wrapping presents. We had a ball up there for hours, talking and laughing and asking each other repeatedly where things were. I'm sure it was never more obvious to Annie as she sat downstairs with Thomas sleeping on her, listening to us carry on, that we are mother and daughter.
![]() |
| The view of the Cincinnati skyline, from their hotel which was on the Kentucky side of the river |
![]() |
| I don't even remember hearing him cry, but oh, that sweet, sad little face! |
Of course we had to walk around the corner to Anna's, and see her newest babe, Forest, who was just three weeks at the time. Anna's house is an enchanting place to be. A bird sat in the window watching us approach, and once we got inside, I saw that two more birds call this place home. Anna introduced us to each one and told us a little about their personalities. The one on the left was the one watching in the window, and Anna said she can be kind of mean. I wanted to give her space, but then to my surprise I found her on my shoulder. I was like, please don't hurt me!
Anna said that one of the birds sits on John Paul's head and kind of grooms him as he does his school work, and that made for such a charming visual. It made me really want a bird... until I remembered two things: 1) Willow would absolutely lose her mind with a bird in the house, and 2) We all know that the bird I would end up with would be swooping around, pecking at us, and probably pooping all over.
![]() |
| There's Thomas not knowing what to make of this, and Mom just looking like the crazy bird lady.🤣 |
![]() |
| Ready for Mass on Christmas Eve |
After Mass on Christmas Eve, we went to Scotty and Faith's.
![]() |
| Christmas morning at the Jeffersonian |
![]() |
| Christmas morning at the Embassy Suites |
We had a fun and relaxing Christmas morning together, after Tim and the other kids made their way over. Later on, we went to a gathering with extended family on my dad's side. My grandma was not feeling up to going over to the clubhouse with everybody, but we walked over to her condo in small groups to visit. My mom took me over there, and it was so nice spending time with her. She is so sweet. She'll be 97 in March--crazy.
There's no way we would leave town without going to Grace and Joey's beautiful new house -- new to us anyway. They moved there a couple years ago when Grace was pregnant with Israel, and Israel was born in the master bedroom with the big picture window overlooking the hills. Dreamy...
Thomas and Israel either engaged in parallel play, or in tug-of-wars over various toys. Come this summer, those kind of tug-of-wars could get pretty ugly between two-year-olds.😆
Here are a few last pictures: the mall so that Tim could exchange something at LLBean, just hanging out with cousins, and having one more great day before heading back.
We had another easy, uneventful trip home, and when we got there we had a few more presents waiting under the tree. After we unpacked the car we opened them. There was the Rice Krispie wreath Aunt Jayne usually sends, which we made quick work of; and everyone was excited about tickets to the Hurricanes game against the Bruins--with Grandma and Grandpa in April.
Phew! Only took me till February to finish this post. I blame Thomas. I have very little margin in my day for this kind of thing, with him keeping me so busy. There are so many little things I like to do with a free moment, and the old blog keeps getting bumped down the list. Plus, I can't help but roll my eyes at the fact that I still have the same old blog from 2009, and I feel like such a dinosaur. I do miss the days when everyone was doing this instead of Instagram Stories, and writing captions that are five paragraphs long, that make me want to say, "If only there were a format better suited to these long stories... oh wait, there is!"
I wish I did the toddler updates the way I did with the other kids. I'm going to forget so much about this stage, like:
- the way he grabs our hands to make us do our bidding--either taking us by the hand to pull us around, or taking our fingers to get us to press buttons or do buckles or something. He's very persuasive too, getting his way most of the time.
-The way he says things in his cute little voice, like "Go?" while shrugging (he means "where did he/she go?") He calls Timmy "meemee," Annie "Nanny," Delaney "Nay-nay," and Joey "Doey." He refers to himself as his nickname "Toot," which is beyond cute.
There are many moments of sweetness with him, and increasingly more moments of exasperation as he gets closer to turning two. But as Tim reminds me, and I know it to be true, I'm going to miss him needing me as much as he does now.


.heic)























.heic)

.heic)



No comments:
Post a Comment