Sunday, July 8, 2012

Delaney's birthday party

Today was a fantastic day, and certainly the day that Delaney deserved.  I'm so happy.  I said as I was cleaning up wrapping paper at the end of the day, "What a great birthday party!  That was a lot of fun!  And Delaney seemed to like it too, snort, hee hee."  I'm a dork if you didn't already know.  
It is so much fun reliving the magic of childhood birthdays through Delaney.  She told me while looking in the mirror as I was fixing her hair, "I can't believe it's today, and I'm 5.  I haven't changed a bit!"  I remember feeling the same way on my birthdays when I was little.  I'm a whole year older, but I look exactly the same as yesterday.
We had her party at the Y, and invited mostly friends from preschool, along with a few others.  I worried it was too hot even for a pool party.  The heat index was 115 today, almost too hot for anything.  The day got off to an inauspicious start when I parked the car, opened the back, and splat! there went the pasta salad Tim had slaved over, right on the pavement.  We were able to salvage the two-thirds that didn't actually touch the pavement, not that it mattered because it was too hot for anyone to want to eat pasta salad.

I'm glad to say everything went much better from that point on.  

She said, "Abracadabra, abracazam!  Make my family turn into frogs as fast as you can!"  Thanks a lot, Delaney!
I tried to take a few pictures of Delaney in the style of my sister Grace -- really up-close and usually out of focus.:)  I think I got a few good ones.
Delaney loved being the star of the day, and it was fun to watch her bask in it -- from the moment she woke up and saw her birthday chair at the table, to the end of the day when she opened all her presents.  
Delaney and Haley will be going to kindergarten together this year.
Delaney and Lily
Timmy, Annie and Claire
It all went off without a hitch, except for when Tim realized as we were leaving that he had forgotten to get the party favors out of the car.  Tim!  Oh well, since he did most of the work, I forgive him.

No comments:

Post a Comment