Saturday, November 26, 2022

Thomas: 6 Months

I'm so behind on this post. Busy time of year!

Half a year already gone, how is this possible? Thomas just keeps delighting us with his funny little personality as he grows, and has been keeping us on our toes more than ever with his newfound abilities and curiosity.

He's crawling with purpose now, and usually that purpose is to get to something he's not supposed to have, like curtains or the dog's bowl. He stops, turns around, and grins at me before going toward the dog bowls--little stinker. He's a sturdy sitter now and likes to kneel too, but he's a little less sturdy there. He pulls up to kneeling and/or standing on furniture, and he's had a few bumps and bruises to show for it. I said to Tim just this morning, "We really don't need a coffee table in the living room, do we?" I know four other kids survived it, but that doesn't make it any less nerve-wracking. (But seriously, can we maybe just put it away for a month or two?)

I broke down and bought this Backjack chair last month, and I've found it very useful, but since then I've been hearing some comments about America's problem with consumerism and overspending that I suspect are aimed at me. I stand by the purchase of this overpriced chair--it is very useful to us, and I would have never found it used. It allows me to sit on the floor with Thomas comfortably; and allows whatever child is perching there at other times of the day -- it's a popular spot! -- to not have to prop up pillows that they will NOT pick up when they're done. Growing up, we always had a Backjack chair or two in the living room, and we loved them.

There hasn't been any overall improvement in his nighttime sleep; at this point I should probably stop bringing it up until there is. He's now in a pack 'n play in the corner -- no more bassinet. He spends the first couple (if we're lucky a few) hours in his own bed, and then the rest of the night with us. He's mostly settled into a daytime routine that includes three naps of varying lengths. The morning nap tends to be the longest, which, after his nighttime antics, is no wonder.

He hasn't had any solid food yet, other than some sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving; but he wasn't too interested.

He tolerates his car seat and stroller much better now, but we've learned the hard way a couple times not to take him on any unnecessary car trips after it gets dark. He'll cry his fool head off the whole way there and back.

He is so much fun. He laughs at us all the time and tries to grab our face and kiss us--or maybe eat us, we're not entirely sure. He's stolen our hearts for sure, and I thank God for him every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment