Saturday, August 6, 2022

Massachusetts trip

A couple weeks ago we made our first trip as a family of seven to visit Tim's side of the family in Massachusetts. I flew with Thomas on the 14th, and everyone else drove. Flying was jaw-droppingly expensive, but I think it worked out for the best. We are at max capacity in the Subaru Ascent, but I really like that car and have no need for anything bigger 99 percent of the time. We are only all together in the car once a week on the way to and from Mass, and while there are complaints (so many eyerolls from me at that), it's doable. But to be at max capacity for the 12-14 hour drive to Massachusetts, along with all our baggage...that would have been tight. To have Thomas in the car for that long--a truly terrifying prospect. He screams his head off in the car on trips that take 45 minutes or less. Not to mention we would have needed to stop more often for nursing, so the day would have been VERY long indeed. I didn't know how much better it would go with flying--that's a whole other set of variables--but the day went without a hitch and we arrived only minutes after Tim and the other kids.

Delaney got to help out a little with the driving, as she'd gotten her learner's permit a couple days before.

Waiting for Grandpa at Logan
A happy reunion in the driveway
The first couple days we were mostly at his parents' house settling in, and then Alexa and Sofia's graduation party was held there that Sunday. After that, the pace of the week picked up and it was a packed itinerary. Thomas and I had to sit some things out, particularly with it being so hot (why do we always have to bring southern weather with us when we come?), but it was good to get out sometimes and then scurry back to the air-conditioned guest room. There were a couple times in the afternoon when everyone or almost everyone was gone and Thomas was sleeping, I went out to the pool by myself. So lovely! I kind of like things low-key anyway, even without an infant. But for Tim and the kids, the kids especially, it was nonstop activity. We all got to choose our own adventure.😊
I'd come down, hand him off to Grandpa in the den, and get my coffee. A very nice morning routine!
Oldest (Juliana, 19) and youngest cousin
Karen had bracelets made for all us girls. They say "together."
My view while trying to get Thomas to sleep
We had a pool day at Kathy's. 
We had dinner at Karen and Matt's one day, and then took these pictures in the backyard. 
Until Timmy came along, we'd become convinced this family only has girls. Ha!
I love this picture of the original Bradys.
Tim and I went out to dinner one night with our third wheel. 
These pictures were taken at some place that had escape rooms and stuff like that. That was a lot of fun for the kids.
Kimball Farm was at the top of Carolyn's wishlist because they used to go a long time ago. It was really pretty there, and it had bumper boats, bumper cars, batting cages, a driving range, a seated zipline (a little scary--Delaney was with me and she knows I got a little spazzy at the top--but I liked it enough to go twice), and some delicious fried seafood. I think the fried seafood and ice water was my favorite. We enjoyed it all while seated in front of a giant industrial sized fan. Ahhhh....
Tim and four of our kids, along with Tim Sr and Karen, took the train to Boston to tour Fenway Park one day. That was a hard pass for me. Joey was so excited to be riding a train, but I heard the novelty wore off pretty quickly. 
Out of all the many pictures taken at Fenway, I have to include this one. That window over the urinal--I bet you think it's a two-way mirror. Nope. The people in the restaurant can see through that window. They can see the faces of the people at the urinals. Why?? I'd be holding a takeout menu in front of my face.
Being wanded down on entry into the skating rink--a first for us!
Two '80s kids (Sam and Kathy) about to show everyone how it's done
I was so glad we made it to the waterslides this year, although I did not get a waterslide wristband this time. Tim and I came later and enjoyed relaxing by the lake. The water, which is typically freezing, felt so refreshing in the heat. The kids had a blast on the waterslides, probably Joey most of all. He kept coming down and running to get back in line over and over. That kid has so much energy; he was in his glory.
All of a sudden, it was our last day. We spent time at Kathy's the first part of the day, then went back to Tim's parents to pack and get ready for Mass.

At Kathy's we had a lively discussion about Sam's approach to hygiene in the summer time, which is, shall we say, minimal. (And I know she won't mind me bringing this up.) I helped her case by pointing out that less frequent bathing is better for your skin, and that pool time counts as bath time. Alexa yelled, "Don't encourage her!" Sam defended herself amid much teasing for having brought conditioner with her into the lake the day before, and Brett called to her in the pool, "Just say the word and I'll toss a couple bars of soap in." I throw that little story in there because I think things like that will be fun to remember one day.
Sam crocheted this hat for Thomas. It fits perfectly!
The next day we made our journeys home. Again, it went as well as could possibly be expected. I was glad to be home, and glad to see all my plants still alive after 10 days. Now it's back to the quiet rest of our summer, and school right around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment