"Son, carrying you has been one of the most unexpected joys of my life, and I know I'll probably miss it, but it's time for you to come out now." As I addressed unborn Thomas, I ran my hands over my huge taut belly and sighed heavily through pursed lips. This is how pregnancy has always been for me -- the best time of my life until it's not. Between those first few weeks and the last long ones were several months of feeling happy, energetic (relatively -- I still need those naps!), and pleased with my changing shape. Then, by the end of April, my body was too cumbersome and achy, I was always out of breath and needing to pee, and just feeling done.
I was an elderly grand multipara, a "seasoned mama" as my midwife calls it. Thus as an expert in childbearing, I knew exactly what to expect. My labor with Thomas would begin as all four other labors had. I would wake up with contractions at some point in the wee hours of the morning, and give birth at some point that day. On mornings I woke up with no change, I would know that wasn't the day. And so I would wait again, go about my day, and wonder if that next time I went to bed would be the last time I went to bed pregnant. For many days this was fun, not knowing what night would be the last. Kind of surreal, as I told my sister Grace, but fun. I would lie down for a nap in the afternoon and say, "How many more naps are we going to have like this, Thomas, with you still in my belly?"
Then, as had happened with Joey, I reached 40 weeks and passed it. The days seemed to stretch on. I'd think, 'I just dropped kids off at school again. Still pregnant.' 'I just picked up kids from school again. Still pregnant. Not even a twinge.' 'Tim has left for work again and I am still pregnant.' And that weird thing happened where even though I was getting closer than ever, actually having a baby began to feel impossible. Time just kept ticking by.
Then in the wee hours of Friday the 13th I found myself wide awake looking at the clock. I was having contractions that were regular but not painful. It was 3 a.m.! This was going to go exactly like the others had. When I had bloody show, I was positive today was the day. I had never NOT held a baby within a few hours of bloody show.
Buuuuttt the contractions fizzled out and I let Tim go to work. No point in wasting time off. I updated Sherry in a text, and she reassured me that my body knows what it's doing. But those silly contractions would start back up time and time again over the next day or two, getting my hopes up every time. I went to the chiropractor on Saturday for an adjustment I hoped would help things along. I asked Sherry what she thought about me taking castor oil the next morning, and she replied that she thought that was a good plan.
We went to Mass that night, and afterward finalized plans with Sherry for a natural induction the next morning. She had a special recipe for a castor oil concoction, which prompted Tim to run out to the store again. I went to bed that night sure this was the last time.
Sunday bright and early, I texted Sherry as soon as I woke up. She came over, examined me (I was at 2-3 cm), and swept my membranes. That was the first time I've had that done. It was not terribly unpleasant. Then she and Tim made the concoction and I drank it. Having never tried castor oil, I was a little daunted by the prospect, but it ended up being a lot tamer than colonoscopy prep. I had several hours of contractions that seemed promising, but then died down again. I was so let down and frustrated I cried. I cried a bunch of times. Here came another Monday, when I had been so positive he'd come over the weekend.
On Monday the 16th I was 41 weeks, a new milestone. Sherry offered either to come over and take a walk with me or to have me come over and work in her garden with her. It was a hot and sunny day. I opted for the walk. It was pleasant enough, although I was pretty hot and sweaty by the end. Back in the house we talked some more and I cried, and she was very compassionate and kind. After she left, I took a shower, ate lunch and had a nap. Yet another afternoon and another night went by.
On Tuesday the 17th, I dropped the kids off at school once again. Back home I cleaned the kitchen and did some laundry. I was a laundry machine. The loads had been getting smaller all the time because I kept getting more obsessive about it. Then, because I was sick to death of waiting around the house to have a baby, I went on some errands. First to the mall, to TJ Maxx; then walked to the other end of the mall, to Belk. I didn't buy much, mostly looked around. I remembered why I hate going to stores. There's so much crap I have no use for, and anything I need or want is online. But I did find pretty thank you notes at TJ Maxx. Then a quick drive to Ollie's, which is right next to the Dollar Tree. I went to both. I was hoping maybe Ollie's had one of those jute pouf ottomans for me to put on the back porch. It's the one thing my back porch is missing. No poufs or ottomans, just lots and lots of planters. It was a long shot anyway. At the dollar store I got a couple cards, then waited in line a really long time behind a lady whose coupons weren't working. I didn't feel annoyed though; more like sorry for her because she was in a lot worse shape than I was. She was old and overweight, leaning heavily against the counter; and if she needed the coupons at the dollar store to work that badly, I was prepared to wait as long as it took. Times are tough. Compassion may have been what I was feeling, but my resting grumpy face must have been in full effect because one of the women behind me asked me when I was due and said, "I bet you're miserable." Another woman let me know that when she was pregnant, she had covered her belly button with a band-aid. As I finally headed out the door, I thought, was she trying to subtly let me know that the sight of my belly button sticking out under my clothes was offensive? Huh. Weird.
At around noon, Sherry texted to let me know she had scheduled an ultrasound and nonstress test for the following Friday morning. She asked if that day and time worked, and offered to go with me. I answered saying that it worked. We both hoped we would not be making it to that appointment. I asked my mom and siblings to pray I didn't need to. Sherry asked me how I was doing, and I told her, "Hanging in there. No change." For me, "no change" just meant annoying contractions off and on, but no news.
I ate lunch and went to lie down, dozing for maybe 20 minutes, but then one of those dumb contractions woke me up. I had long since learned to ignore them. My mom and Anna and Grace checked in with me via text -- all separately, which was kind of funny. It gave me something to do, replying to all of them in turn. It is funny to look at them and see where my tone changed abruptly.
I literally went from making beach plans to holy crap, these contractions are not playing. (Never underestimate the power of an emergency novena!) Then I became aware of a wet feeling, which was what propelled me out of bed to the bathroom. Water was trickling down my legs as soon as I stood up, and it was continuous to the point I needed a pad. I felt a mix of excitement and terror, and told myself, a la Kevin McAllister, This is it. Don't get scared now. But was it really? A couple more contractions came hard and fast, leaving no doubt. I began pacing around the house, sending another flurry of texts I knew would be my last for awhile: updating my mom and sisters, making sure the boys had a ride home from school, and summoning Tim and Sherry. Then I grabbed one of my laborade popsicles out of the freezer, put on the birth affirmations playlist on Hallow, sat down on my exercise ball, and did what I'd been doing every 10 minutes for the last several days: I cried. (What a weepy few days this was!) And so it began.![]() |
| I'd waited so long to get a good look at him! |
![]() |
| 8 lbs 10 oz and 21.5 inches long. A keeper! |
![]() |
| They were almost birthday buddies; Annie turned 13 two days later. |








.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)



























What a believe boy and a wonderful birth story! I am due tomorrow with baby #5 and already pregnant longer than any of my other births!! Thank you for the emergency novena, I was thrilled to have a prayer to pray to Our Lady. Congratulations (a year late).
ReplyDeleteAhhh, the waiting is so hard. I'll say a prayer now that you have a peaceful and joyful birth. Thanks for the comment.:)
DeleteBeautiful boy*
ReplyDelete