Sunday, June 21, 2020

Topsail, the 2020 version

Back when this Covid thing started brewing, and one thing after another got canceled or closed down, I couldn't help but think to myself that if we managed to get to Topsail in June, I wouldn't care what kind of weather it was, I would be so grateful. Just to see all these faces again, it wouldn't matter if it rained all week. If it had been possible I might have bargained with somebody to make that deal, because it just felt like the world was ending.

But the thing is, human nature being what it is, when it's cold and gray and windy and rainy at the beach, and that happens day after day...it still sucks. Nobody comes to the beach to shiver in their sweats. We kept saying, "Dang 2020." I tried to maintain perspective, I really did, but I told Tim on Tuesday, "I'm struggling. I'm just craving the sun so much." It would come out of the clouds sometimes just long enough to make you thirsty for more.
I think the above picture was taken Saturday night, and that was the last time we saw blue sky until Wednesday. I think. Or maybe Tuesday night. Grace painted our nails (she always brings her collection of nail polish); the kids went to Shark Attack a few times times thanks to the adults willing to take them; a couple carloads of us took a field trip to New Bern to see our new digs; and we drank and joked and reminisced our way through the evenings.

The first time I could put on a bathing suit I flew down that wooden walkway so fast I risked a sprained ankle. It was partial sun, but I was like "I'll take it!"

I can't seem to stop myself from sharing a gazillion pictures; when I see them on the bigger screen instead of on my phone, I notice details I couldn't see before, and more to love about them. I think my eyes are starting to go. I turn 41 in a few days!
As much as I don't want to see angry clouds, they make for some good photos!
Nighttime was great for crab-hunting. The kids were all so excited to go. One night Scotty and his kids, along with Timmy, got to see a loggerhead sea turtle on her way back into the ocean after laying eggs under somebody's house. That's not something you see every day. It had a corn snake following it, which they couldn't resist catching and handling (yuck!). Scotty told us Timmy was not afraid of it whatsoever. They think the corn snake wanted an easy meal of turtle eggs, but it's like the scent of the turtle fooled him into following her away from all the eggs.
One morning the kids pulled out clumps of seaweed containing colonies of the tiniest hermit crabs we'd ever laid eyes on. They were so stinking cute! 
Mom and Dad and Grace and her family shared the unit right behind the blue umbrella; Tim and I were in the same duplex on the other side.
It's Grace's 30th birthday today. Happy birthday, Grace!
Joey was my little beach buddy. We had so much fun together.
We took our pictures on Thursday night instead of Friday, which is the last night. That was a good call. I think it's a lot easier to smile when you know you have one more day. For most of us, anyway.😜
Delaney's only three inches shorter than me now. Think she'll be as tall as me next year?
In case I get rusty and forget one day, I'll caption this with names and kids' ages left to right: Annie (11), Tim, Timmy (8), me, Delaney (12), Joe (4), Jaden (12), Scotty III (10), Faith, Scotty Jr, Roman (14), Aspen (14), Grace, Elise (4), Joey, Taj (2), Lotus (12), Mom, Damien (7), and Dad. We were missing Anna and Sophie and their families.
1000 sparklers in 5 minutes, to celebrate Roman and Little Scotty's birthdays
When we saw this on Friday afternoon, we figured our sun was done, but after some wind and a few sprinkles, it moved on. Phew.
My mom commented at one point during the week that kids might forget what they got for birthday or Christmas, but they never forget their family vacations. I know that's been true in my own life, and I think that it's true when it comes to experiences, period. That's where you get lasting memories. It's easier to foster these experiences when everybody clears their calendar and gathers in one place, and that's what makes them so memorable. But experiences can also just be the small things you barely notice at the time they're happening. Tim took a lot of trips with his family growing up, but he still talks about the time he and his dad drove all over to look at and test-drive used Mustangs. To be given the gift of someone's time, to know that just being with you is good enough for them -- that's what gives us our sense of self-worth and builds us up strong and sturdy so that some day we can turn to the task of building up another person. I heard the song "Simple Man" by Lynyrd Skynyrd while sitting on the sand one day, and the lyrics encapsulate so much of what I want for my kids.

Oh take your time/ don't live too fast/ troubles will come and they will pass/ You'll find a woman and you'll find love / and don't forget, son, there is someone up above

And be a simple kind of man / Oh, be something you love and understand/ Baby be a simple kind of man/ Oh, won't you do this for me, son, if you can

On that note I want to wish a happy Father's Day to my wonderful husband, father, father-in-law, brother, brothers-in-law, all dads, and all good men serving in a fatherly role. Your hard work, love, and example are all so needed and appreciated, today and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment