For Tim, Joey and me it was a very quiet July. We sent the Big 3 up north again to stay with their grandparents for a month. Delaney got to go to the long-anticipated sled dog camp with her cousin Alexa in western MA. Delaney and Alexa had a blast at that smelly dog camp, from everything I've heard. They spent five days and four nights camping and playing with huskies. They roughed it together in a two-man tent with only baby wipes to clean up with until their ineffective solar shower before being picked up. Tim Sr was there for pickup on Friday, and he said the whole place stunk. I got the pictures Sam (Tim's sister, Alexa's mom) took the day she dropped them off, but then I didn't get any more. I was miffed about that because after what it cost for her to go, I felt kind of entitled to some pictures. I watched their Facebook page all week, and they only posted three pictures, none of Delaney and Alexa. But they sure did look cute -- and clean -- on drop-off day. I was and am really happy for Delaney to have this opportunity. She is a lucky girl.
![]() |
| The packing list was insane. |
Delaney tells me her favorite parts of sled dog camp were primitive skills and playing with the dogs. When I asked her what primitive skills are, she told me making their own dinners by the campfire. One night they heated up chicken and vegetable wraps inside foil over the fire. The next night they made their own stew with herbs they picked themselves. Another night was pizza they made over mini fires. She picked up the dogs' poop, fed them, and let the dogs pull them across the river.
They each got to go on their little camps and excursions, but what made me happiest was them getting to spend time with family and getting to be outside a lot. They could step outside any time of day and play in the pool or throw a ball around the backyard. Here in the south it gets way too hot and humid. Summer reaches its expiration pretty quickly around here where all there is to do is pool in the morning, have lunch, Joey's nap, and spend all afternoon inside in the air-conditioning. I give in to them being on devices way too much, but there are only so many games of Uno we can play, and we kind of get tired of one another. Add to that the incessant rain and thunderstorms we had for the second half of July, which took away the best thing about summer -- swimming. I was really glad they weren't here for that.
I'm going to stop here and give a shout out to Tim Sr, Carolyn, Kathy and Brett, Sam and Karen for making this possible: getting them up there, keeping them, taking them places, and bringing them back to us. You're all the best. These kids had a fun and memorable July, and it's thanks to you.❤️
Joey didn't seem sad without his siblings even though he talked about them all the time. We Skyped often, and he loved talking to them. I think he kind of liked the undivided attention he got from Tim and me.
![]() |
| Dinner for 3 |
They got back August 1, and school starts the 27th. We are back to our regular summer routines, and it's not too bad now that the rain has taken a break. On any given day we might do an errand or two, and then go to the pool at the Y. I started a once-a-week library habit when it was just Joey and me, and now that they're all back we're continuing it. I read this book right before they got home, and that lit a fire under me to start read-alouds again with them. I used to read to the older kids all the time, books like the Little House series and The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. Then as time went by and they got to be such good readers themselves, I thought they didn't need or want me reading to them anymore. I realized after reading this book that I was completely wrong about that, and 'duh' since I have fond memories of having my mom read with me when I was Delaney's age and older. I decided to begin again asap. What better time than the doldrums of summer! We finished our first read-aloud which was one of the author's recommendations: My Father's Dragon. Those of us who could read each took a turn reading a chapter until we were done. I hadn't heard Timmy read out loud more than the occasional short storybook, so I was impressed by his fluency -- no stumbling at all. I was not crazy about the book; I found it to be just OK. The kids seemed to like it. Next up is one of my old favorites, Cheaper by the Dozen.
![]() |
| Spot It -- a game that makes me feel like my brain is paralyzed |
![]() |
| Cow Cafe with Grandpa |
Every day after dinner we walk the neighborhood loop and the kids ride bikes or a scooter. I really enjoy these walks, as sweaty as they are. They are good family time. Thankfully, even during the rainy weeks we had, it was usually clear for just long enough for us to squeeze it in. Sometimes we run when Tim makes me.
Sometimes it can feel overwhelming having them all home every day, bickering and making all their noise. But the other night as I sat there finishing up dinner -- alone, as usual, because I'm the slowest eater of all time -- I took in the scene around me. Delaney and Timmy were clearing the table and loading the dishwasher. Annie was upstairs starting a bath for Joey. A couple years ago I could hardly picture the possibility of this. They are growing up and they have the ability to lighten our load. Whatever we're doing is working!
Next week Delaney will spend a few mornings learning how to play clarinet at band camp, and we have some other things here and there to take us through the rest of the month. I'm hoping we can fit in a couple more beach days and enjoy the lull before the craziness of back to school.
On September 8, we'll meet my parents in Asheville to pick up Willow, our Frenchton puppy. Brace yourself for an onslaught of puppy pictures! I'll leave you here with a couple because I can't resist:
We are now annoying dog people.













That were Alaskan Sled Dogs not huskies.
ReplyDelete