Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Joey: 17 Months

The biggest change between 16 and 17 months for Joey, and really the only major change, is that he's either saying or attempting to say several words. He says one word at a time, and every time we hear him say something new we make a big deal out of it. The best was when we were in the carpool line at Annie and Timmy's school, the teacher opened the door for them to get in, and he called out "Annie!" clear as a bell. He also says "nana" (banana), ow, uh-oh, car, eat, and I think "aney" was an attempt at Delaney. He signs "more" and "all done."
I think he understands most of what we say to him, and today when I asked him to put Timmy's cleats back in the cubby, he did so.

He's trying to figure out how everything works, including the front and back storm doors, so we have to be more careful not to let him escape. He can't turn knobs yet, so that's a good thing. He's getting good with going up and down stairs. He watches us closely and copies everything we do. This morning I saw him waving my curling wand around his head with one hand, while wearing the heat protectant glove on the other.
He toddles around really well, and he only has one speed. It cracks me up to watch him being chased around and I can tell by the look on his face he's sprinting, but his legs are not going any faster.

I gave him the WORST mom haircut of all time. I feel so bad for him. I've been trying to let it grow into a mop like the one Timmy had when he was around the same age, but the front parts were getting into his eyes. I've taken him to professionals to get his hair cut -- once to my hairdresser and once to someone at Great Clips. I was not entirely satisfied with the job that either one of them did, and for a minimum of 15 bucks, I really need to be happy with the result. But no matter how hard I tried to communicate that I wanted the hair shorter but I didn't want to see the line, I want it to look all blended and natural -- I'd come away with him looking a little like Lloyd Christmas in Dumb and Dumber. They tried to blend it but I could still see the line. I wanted it to look like wispy baby hair and I don't want to see a perfectly straight line of hair in the front. It should look like this:
Timmy at about 18 months
I thought to myself, why pay someone to do a mediocre job of cutting his hair, when I can do a mediocre (or worse) job for free? So I took matters into my own hands, and I used a technique I think my mom told me about, which was to twist a lock of hair around and then snip it. Which I did so very gingerly, just the tiniest snips at a time. My big mistake was that first I swept the hair over the way I normally like it, before twisting and cutting sections. I should have just pulled it straight out in front. I messed up one side of it big time; the other side is not so bad. 
I texted Tim lots of tear-faced emojis, telling him maybe it was time to just use the clippers and give him Timmy's cut. He said he didn't feel ready to do that, and I really don't feel ready for him to do that either. It's just wow. So bad. Tim offered to even it up by cutting the other side shorter, but I said no, he should at least have one good side. I know it will grow back soon enough, but the timing was just so unfortunate with Annie's First Communion a few days away and Grace's wedding the week after. So many photos are being taken of him in nice clothes with that stupid hair. So sorry, Bub!

He always wakes up crying. I seem to remember at least one of my other toddlers babbling happily to himself/herself after waking up in the morning or from a nap, while I waited for them to start making noises indicating that they wanted to be gotten. Not this one. He whines and cries. After I get him out of bed in the morning he's fairly cheerful, but after his afternoon nap .. ugh. Such a grouch the rest of the afternoon. Very clingy and no fun at all.
He is all the way done with his morning nap, and if I'm lucky in the afternoon he sleeps 1.5 hours, but often more like an hour and 15 minutes. I'd like to start getting a solid two hours in the afternoon. How do I do that? He goes to bed at 7 and almost always gets up at 6, even on the weekends. He still sometimes cries between 11 and 12 and needs me to go in there and reassure him. 

He's wearing size 12-18 month clothes and size 4 diapers.

He is a lovable little rascal and he's Mama's buddy, I tell him all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment