Monday, August 29, 2016

My Sunday Best Episode 5: On My Own

I was on my own this Sunday for the first time with four kids. I took these pictures with Delaney a little while before we left. Ideally, I would have liked to get pictures of all of us: Timmy with his shirt buttoned all lopsided but looking handsome all the same; and the girls in their matching sundresses. But by the time these pictures were taken we had only five minutes left until we had to leave, and Timmy was still searching for his shoes and Annie was sulking because I'd made her change out of her denim shorts and tank top. I told her, "It would be one thing if you had nothing nicer, but you've got so many nice things." Seriously so many. (Sigh.) I know I was the same way when I was a kid. So these pictures with Delaney, Joey and me were the best I could manage.

I was a little bit -- no, a lot -- nervous about Mass on my own with the kids. I asked Delaney to take this picture, but I had just been barking at the kids and issuing warnings about how the rest of the day was going to go if they didn't start listening. As a result, every time I tried to smile my face twitched. So I said, "OK, let me think of a happy thought.." At the moment she snapped this picture I was saying, "Brownies?" (I had plans for baking later.) There, don't I look happy?
My blouse and pants: Old Navy
Sandals: Kohls
Necklace: RubyRoo Baby
Joey's outfit: Baby Boden
Delaney's dress was a gift from her grandma, and I'm not sure where she got it. Annie has one too, and it seems that if one of them puts it on, the other one does too. I love the colors.
At least I had plenty of rest, not that it ever seems to be enough. Joey's doing much better on the sleep front, and last night he slept from 7:30 until 6. 6 is the time I've really been aiming to get him to wake up at since it works best with our weekday routine. Yay!

How did Mass go? No worse than usual. The girls still need to be better at participating. I just remind them from time to time what they ought to be doing, but try not to get too uptight about it. Easier said than done.

Timmy had his usual problems facing front and not talking or trying to play with his brother. And Joey squirmed this way and that the entire time, and it was quite the workout keeping him in my arms. He did bang his head into the pew in front of us and cry for a few seconds, but it wasn't too bad.

We made it! The rest of the hot and humid day went quickly. Joey took a good nap, the kids watched some Star Wars .. Our trip to the pool was a bust because of thunderstorms in the area, so after waiting around for the 'all clear' for a half hour, I gave up and said it was time to go. The kids took it in stride. We brought brownies to the new neighbors across the street, and back home I let the kids have half a brownie before dinner for being such good sports about the pool. We had oven fajitas for dinner and brownie sundaes for dessert once they'd picked up their messes. Then it was time to pack lunches, get breakfasts ready, get the kitchen clean, let them play outside for a bit, and then wind down for bed.

I hope everyone's off to a great start for their week. I've got three kids off to school, one down for a nap, and a cup of coffee. It doesn't get much better than that.

I'm linking up again with Rosie for My Sunday Best.:)

8 comments:

  1. Those white pants! I love them! Are they the "pixie ankle pants" from Old Navy? I've been wanting to try those on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes they are. Definitely try them on. I have two pair, both the same size. One fits well and the other is almost too tight.

      Delete
  2. I love your outfit! You look perfect and I'm so glad that the kids behaved ok. It can be so nerve-wracking doing it all on your own! Great job, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your outfit and your babies! seriously....
    You look so pulled together, keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, the struggle is real when it comes to solo Mass, and I definitely think just getting everybody dressed appropriately is the hardest part! Once you're there, at least Jesus is as well, so no matter what, it's all good :) You look so cute! Brownies always make me smile, too ;)

    ReplyDelete