Sunday, June 12, 2016

My Sunday Best, Episode 2: My Birthday Comes Early

Yesterday was a busy Saturday. Tim took the Big Three out to go to some stores and also, unbeknownst to me, to get the girls haircuts. He'd heard me griping enough about how hard it was to maintain all this long hair now that we've been going to the pool again, and he wanted them to surprise me. Annie had already mentioned she wanted a haircut, and he thought Delaney would be easy to convince too. But when they got home, it was just Annie who was sporting a shoulder length bob. Delaney had refused -- that is, until she saw her sister's haircut, and then she said, "I change my mind, I want a haircut." By then it was too late, they'd lost their place in line and it was time to go home. Tim told me I would have to take her back that afternoon.
A few hours later I took her, and this time, success! Delaney ended up with even a little more length taken off than her sister (at her own request), as well as some layering and face-framing. I was delighted with the result, and Delaney seemed to be too. I was so happy with the job the person at Great Clips did. I'll be asking for her next time for sure.
Back at the house, Delaney ran inside as fast as she could. I figured she couldn't wait to show her dad. I took a few more moments, getting my things and getting Joey out, before I followed. As soon as I walked into the kitchen I heard, "Surprise!"
"It's not my birthday!" I said. But the cake and the balloons were for me, and so was the card and the present. Tim had wanted to give me the presents before our beach vacation so I'd be able to use them there. I was so excited -- first haircuts for the girls, and now this? 

The present was a new dress and sunglasses. I couldn't wait to try them on, and Delaney took a picture. It's wrap front, so it's nursing friendly should the need arise. This is what I wore to Mass today, with the same sandals from last week. The dress is from New York and Company, but I can't find it online.
To make my birthday complete, Tim made fish tacos for dinner. That was another reason he'd decided to celebrate my birthday early -- because he knew he wasn't making fish tacos on my actual birthday, which is the day we drive back from Florida. (And I might have already brought up the fish tacos;)) He doesn't make them often because they're a lot of work even for him. He uses this recipe, with the only modification being that we put the tacos together with broccoli slaw instead of cabbage. In addition to that he makes his own guacamole and pico de gallo. Fish tacos made any other way are a big, fat disappointment. I'm getting hungry again just thinking about them.
Delaney took these pictures of herself with the timer. She's funny. She said, "Are you going to write a blog? So am I! Let's compare blogs." 
Tim remarked how Delaney and Annie each ended up with the haircut most suitable to them. Annie's is a little longer because she likes to wear it up a lot; and Delaney's is shorter because she'd rather not ever wear her hair up. And now she doesn't have to put up with me coming after her with a brush all the time because she won't brush her own tangles out.

For more My Sunday Best, go to A Blog For My Mom!

4 comments:

  1. Oh that dress is so cute! I can't believe your husband picked it out - good man! And what an awesome early birthday surprise :) You are one blessed lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite dresses are the ones he's picked out. He's got a good eye.

      I know it!

      Delete
  2. So fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And your dress is super cute. So summery and fun! Have fun in Florida!

    ReplyDelete