Monday, February 29, 2016

Winter Beach Day

It's easy for me to forget we live anywhere near the ocean with it being winter, adjusting to having a baby around again, and the 40-minute drive. Then Tim said out of the blue after lunch on Saturday, "Let's go to the beach." I thought he meant the "beach" on Parris Island. It's a nice enough place with a picnic area, playground and trails on the banks of a river. It's good enough for getting us out into the fresh air and moving. When he said he meant Hunting Island, I was like, "Sure, why not?" I got Joey fed and changed and we were off to the beach with sweatshirts and walking shoes instead of swimsuits and flipflops. The conditions were perfect for a nice long walk on the water -- sunny, cool and with just enough of a breeze to keep a kite flying. I must have ended up saying at least three times, "We need to do this more often." I love the ocean. It is my happy place, and one day when all is said and done and we are finished moving every three years, I would love to get a house on the beach. Preferably in Emerald Isle, NC. But .. we also dream of one day living near extended family, and neither of our families live there. So it's just a dream. In the meantime the Marine Corps does a good job of making sure we are never far from a big body of water.
There was a stretch of beach where it was impossible to get around the dead trees. You had to go under or over. We called it the "tree graveyard."
Fun fact: The Vietnam jungle scenes in Forrest Gump were filmed here.
They found clams and little fish in these pools.
Someone had decorated a tree with ornaments made almost entirely from things you could find at the beach. I thought about taking one of the ornaments home to use on our own tree next year. After all, Christmas was over, and maybe the ornaments were meant to be a gift for somebody. But in the end we left them because it didn't seem right. But I don't know, I might still be back for one of them..
Three crazy kids

No comments:

Post a Comment