Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Rest of Our Summer Part 1: Massachusetts

It's been almost a month since I posted last. What a whirlwind these last few weeks have been! We got back from Ohio two nights ago, and school starts this Thursday for the girls. Meanwhile, we're having a hectic couple days as we take care of the things both planned and unplanned that need taken care of, and I try to reestablish control over my little kingdom here (with Tim already gone on another work trip).

Today was quite a day! My saving grace is that at quarter after 7 my kids, who have been routinely staying up until about 10 while we visit with family, are now in their beds and quiet. Something about this day (maybe I'll talk about it in another post because it was a doozy) did them in too, and maybe it's for the better so that we can get accustomed to early bedtimes and early mornings again.

So, I left off with my summer day in the life post, which was just a typical day. There followed several more of those, and I got tired of it fast. It's just too hot around here with not enough to do. I failed at my resolution to make our summer more structured. I wanted to sign them up for swim lessons or gymnastics, but changed my mind when I saw that my kids would be missing half the sessions I'd be paying for. So we didn't do much, and I gave in to the doldrums. I will, however, pat myself on the back for being proactive with the back-to-school shopping in July. That saves me a lot of heartache now.

Meanwhile, Delaney had the time of her life up north with our family in Massachusetts. They were pretty busy going to state parks, amusement parks, and all kinds of other stuff. She turned 8 there too. We were all feeling a little jealous of her, but mostly happy for her. Here's a sampling of pictures Tim's sister Sam shared on Facebook.
The caption for this one was, "Fun at the lake. Yes, that's Delaney being launched!"
Delaney, Juliana, Auntie Karen and Alexa at Patriots Place
Delaney and Juliana at Purgatory Chasm
On the 23rd the rest of us flew up. Here are some highlights from our week there:

The night before Timmy's birthday, which was on the 25th, I started feeling all guilt-ridden because we wouldn't actually be celebrating his birthday ON his birthday. (It seems to happen more often than not that a kid's birthday can't be celebrated on his/her actual birthday, and strangely, it bothers me more and more.) I wanted to celebrate it in some small way. Tim's sister Kathy gave us the idea of the candle in the donut for when he woke up. I think he liked it! 
On the afternoon of the 25th, we -- that is all the female members of the family -- embarked on the odyssey that was attending the Taylor Swift concert at Gillette Stadium. This was an event that initially I had been excited about, but as the time got closer I started to dread and think, 'What did I get myself into?' I like Taylor Swift enough, but I am not a fan of crowds and waiting around for things. But even though it was a very long night (that didn't end until 3 because it took an hour-and-a-half just to leave the parking lot afterward!), It was not bad. It was even fun. There was some waiting around for things at different times, like waiting through all her opening acts which I found to be 'meh.' But all in all it was a great night, and the crowds didn't bother me because of the open air. The kids had lots of fun, and even the 6-year-olds hung in there as it got later and later. There were no meltdowns, no one even complaining about the long walk back to our cars at midnight. 
They looooove Auntie Karen!
The next day, after very little sleep for any of us concert attendees, we left at around noon for the Pawtucket Red Sox game. Tim's sister Karen had set up some birthday festivities for Timmy there, and sort of for Delaney too. But Delaney had already had her birthday celebrated a couple times by then, so mostly it was for Timmy. He ate it all up, ham that he is.
He's wearing the hat of one of the mascots, Paw.
Then there was yet another surprise for Delaney, that lucky girl! Remember how I talked about how sad it was when her friend Norah who lived next door to us moved to Massachusetts at the end of the school year? Well, we invited her family to the baseball game months ago, and also agreed to let her go with them for a couple days at the beach house they were staying at in Connecticut. I think Delaney kind of maybe suspected they were going to be at the baseball game. We didn't do a great job of keeping that quiet since we kept bringing it up in her presence and hoping she didn't guess who "they" were. But I'm pretty sure she didn't expect to be leaving the game with them. I was worried that that was almost a little more excitement than she could handle, especially after such a late night. We had decided that we would have her bag in the back of the car and then ask her if she wanted to go; and of course she did. We took a Grandpa-style "selfie" (when he uses the timer on his camera -- which I think turn out to be the best pictures. There's something about that blinking red light that gets everybody to focus!) of all of us together right before it was time to leave.
Here's a picture Norah's mom texted me the next day.
The baseball stadium didn't allow Karen to take Timmy's birthday cake in, so we did cake and presents back at Tim's mom and dad's. I love this video, with him being unable to resist sticking his finger in the icing as soon as he sees the cake, and then looking around to make sure he's not in trouble. I think 4 is shaping up to be his most colorful and challenging (for us) year. He's getting to be "too big for his britches" at times, and wants to run the show. We've had our hands full with him. He's lucky he's cute.
We went to a waterslide park at some reservoir with really chilly water. I did not go in that water like my braver sisters-in-law and the kids did. But I did go down waterslides with Timmy. It was a lot of fun, and I even managed to keep everything on every time. Oh, the things those lifeguards must see, the stories they tell when they go home..
That water looked good enough to drink but no way was I getting in!
We spent our last day there at Kathy's pool, where I had a really rough time floating around in a tube and eating ice pops and then taking a nap inside in the air-conditioning. Oh, and eating the meals Kathy made. 
This family is girl-heavy, but we are doing our part to contribute boys. Did I mention we're having another boy? Another point for Team Blue!
The next day we flew back home, unpacked and packed again for our next trip with just the kids and me. Dun-dun-dun.. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a fantastic time! You can't beat all that time at the lake and the pool!

    ReplyDelete