Saturday, July 11, 2015

Day in the Life: Summer 2015

Date: Wednesday, July 8

Cast of characters:
Tim: 40
Rachael: 36
Delaney: 8 years old today!
Annie: 6
Timmy: 3, about to turn 4 in a couple weeks
Baby #4: 18 weeks gestation

Today it's just Annie, Timmy and myself at home. Tim's out of town for work and Delaney's visiting family in Massachusetts. It's very unusual for it to be just the three of us.

6:30 a.m. My alarm goes off. I get up, start my coffee brewing, make my bed, and brush my teeth. Then I plop down on the couch for coffee, morning devotion/prayers, Facebook, and whatever else I feel like perusing. It's so quiet and peaceful. 
7:50 a.m. We're off to a slow start this morning. I start to cook my eggs and Annie joins me in the kitchen. She and Timmy have been sleeping late this summer. 
A couple minutes later, Timmy makes his way out to the living room, collapses into the La-Z-Boy and sticks his thumb in his mouth. I tell him he's a lazy bum and playfully squeeze his leg.
8:30 a.m. We finish up breakfast and I clean up afterward. This would have been a pool morning, but unfortunately I ran out of time yesterday getting the kids' school registration done. I got Annie and Timmy's done, but today we still have to go do Delaney's. It's a time-consuming process because it takes 25 minutes just to drive there each way. If I had a little more motivation to get us moving earlier and faster, we'd still have plenty of time left in the morning for swimming. But I don't. Oh well.

I cue up a prenatal yoga video on YouTube and set up my mat. Since I discovered the wealth of yoga videos online, I've decided I'm breaking up with the Y. It's just too easy to do this every day in my own house, and too hard to get to the Y most days. I can handle the added distraction of Timmy rolling his cars around the mat or sliding books under the edges. Today he's happy to snap a few pictures of me too.
9:20 a.m. I've still got to water my plants. I can't believe how fast this morning is going. None of us is even dressed yet.
Everything looks so pretty in the morning light. I got this pretty pot on the right at Lowe's a couple weeks ago. I hope I can keep it alive because I love it!
9:45 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. or thereabouts. I don't have any pictures except one from this entire chunk of the day. We go to Delaney's school and get her registered -- a much quicker process than yesterday because I know where to find her school and I only have one set of papers to fill out this time. Then we come back home and have lunch. I make Annie and Timmy eat in silence because they've been bickering nonstop, all the way home in the car and then all the way in the door. Then I start naptime early, in hopes of an afternoon trip to the pool. 

At some point I call the Y to cancel my membership, and I'm told that I will have to go in person to fill out a membership termination form. Of course.. They're banking on the people who are too lazy to go there in the first place being too lazy to go there to cancel. Smart of them.
2:30 p.m. We're in luck today -- no lightning within 5 (miles) warnings this afternoon. Thunderstorms are common just about every day here in the month of July. But today it's hot and sunny, no threatening storms. 
Timmy always has a wedge when he gets out of the pool. He says wedgies are "the worst thing ever."

4:00 p.m. We get home from the pool. I am SO hungry. I haven't had anything to eat since my lunch of leftover fajita chicken and peppers with chips and pico de gallo. That filled me up so much I forgot about eating for awhile, and that's unusual for me. I'm weak with hunger by the time I come in the door. I turn on the oven right away and start pounding and breading chicken breasts to make chicken parmesan. 

Timmy asks me if he can knock on the door of the "boy who has a lot of toys" and see if he can play. He means the boy who just moved in two doors down. I remind him that the boy's name is Peter and with a sigh I say, "Go ahead." After I see him run out the back door and across the yard separating our houses, I think that it might not have been a bad idea to walk him there since they don't really know us and are not expecting Timmy on their doorstep. But then I figure they'll just send him home if it's not a good time, and I go back to getting dinner ready.

My phone rings a minute or two later, and glancing at the number I don't recognize, I say, "I bet I know who this is." Along with cookies, I also gave them a card with our contact info a couple days ago. Never know when you're gonna need it! It is indeed Peter's mom, just making sure it's OK that Timmy is at her door, and it's OK for him to play. I tell her that he did have my permission and I'm being kind of bashful and apologetic, like, "I hope it's OK,.. it it's not send him home, .. just while I'm getting dinner ready.." Just babbling. She says she's happy to have Timmy play, and says she'll "walk him back home in a little while." I almost tell her it's not necessary to walk him home, but just as quickly I change my mind. After we hang up I shake my head and chuckle to myself. She must think I'm the worst mother in the world. I totally trust these people after having met them once. The kids are happy and polite and the parents are very nice to talk to. And the grandmother speaks with a British accent, which shouldn't win them any points at all, but for me it does. She even offered me tea while we were there on Monday.

4:45 p.m. The chicken is out of the oven, so I dash over to get Timmy. I chitchat with them for just a little bit, but I am almost delirious with hunger by now so I keep it short. I thank them very much for having Timmy over. I like them a lot and hopefully they don't disapprove of me too much. So far I think they're good neighbors. Now I'll wait with bated breath to see who moves into the house right next to ours.

5:30 p.m. At last the pasta is ready too, and I am serving up dinner to the three of us. 
5:50 p.m. We sing "Happy Birthday" to Delaney in Massachusetts. Then we eat our own treats in lieu of birthday cake. Timmy and I have ice cream and Annie has strawberry shortcake.
6:20 p.m. Annie and Timmy play for a little while on the jungle gym out back and I clean up the kitchen and take out the recycling.
6:45 or thereabouts: The kids come in sweaty and dirty, wanting to relax and watch Disney Jr. I have them take a bath first and put on their pajamas. Then the two of them assume their positions on the couch, Timmy sucking his thumb and Annie snuggling up with her face against one of the white feather pillows that she has adopted as her new "lovey." Unfortunate since the tags on the pillow covers say "spot clean only." We'll just have to see about that.

8 p.m. Bedtime for two children. I settle down with a cup of pregnancy tea (a blend of red raspberry leaf, nettle and alfalfa) and a really, really good book, Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult. Jodi Picoult books have been hit-or-miss the past few years for me, but I would say this one is one of her best.
I talk to Tim for a bit, tell him about how I made a less than stellar impression on the new neighbors, and listen to his day. I take my book back to bed after that and read until I can hardly keep my eyes open, and probably turn off my light at around 10.

I realize as I finish this post three days later that I really need to take better notes or at least more pictures, especially if it's going to take me this long to write up a DITL. There's a lot of this day missing! Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment