Friday, May 15, 2015

A very special weekend

A weekend like last weekend definitely deserves a blog post, but I have been as sluggish as I can possibly be these last few weeks. Mentally and physically. I had completely forgotten how such a tiny human is capable of sapping all the energy out of my entire body. I have no motivation to do anything. I nap for an hour every afternoon and am in bed by 9:30 most nights. I am slogging through the days. But I know it will get better in a couple more weeks and then I'll have all the energy to do all the things I want to do. Right?

Tim's parents and sister Karen come from Massachusetts and stayed with us from Thursday until Monday. We packed a lot of celebrating into that small amount of time. On Saturday we had an early birthday for Annie because we had to take advantage of visiting family for that. Sunday was Delaney's First Communion and Mother's Day.

On Thursday we got the girls from school, and when it was done raining we took a walk around the neighborhood and ate breakfast for dinner. Before walking back, Tim Sr had us stop and take this picture with the timer.

On Friday morning, they all walked to the morning colors ceremony in front of the General's building, while I slept. I like how Timmy is standing the same way as his dad. Delaney is still wearing school clothes even though I let them have the day off.
We went out for a little bit of shopping and dinner downtown at a pizza and pasta place on the waterfront. Karen and I ordered manicotti that turned out not to be (a little disappointing), and we enjoyed the occasional bird swooping down over our heads. Afterward we had ice cream and that was perfect. You can never go wrong with ice cream!
On Saturday we had Annie's little 6th birthday celebration. She invited a little friend from school, and was actually nice to her when she got here. We didn't know what to expect. Annie is unpredictable, and she has never before wanted to invite a friend from school. So we watched in amazement as they ran around playing together, like 'Is this really happening?'

We sang 'Happy Birthday', she opened presents, and we had cake. Out in the garage there was another present waiting -- and bonus for Delaney, there was an early, early birthday present in there for her too. Grandma had gotten each of them a new bike. Lucky girls!
Sunday was Delaney's big day -- her First Communion. It was an early morning, and a little bit hectic. By 8 a.m. we were all dressed and waiting outside for my friend Kim down the street to take pictures of Delaney and us. I might post maybe one or two pictures that Tim Sr took with his camera during that session, and then wait to share all the rest until I get the ones Kim took. It was a bit of a tough lighting situation, with the morning sun shining directly at us.
Delaney made this banner almost completely by herself, with only some help from me in cutting things out of felt. I think hers was definitely the most colorful and most original.
Before Mass started, Tim went up to the first pew where she was sitting, and gave her a hug. Those two have a special bond, and it really warms my heart to see it.
If I had it to do over again, I'd put that veil a couple inches further back on her head. Having it so close to the front of her head made it difficult to get her face in any of the pictures. When it's Annie's turn I'll remember that.
When I ordered the cake at the commissary, I specifically asked (at Delaney's request) for them to freehand a dove on it somewhere. I was expecting the silhouette of a dove, which is usually how I see it in a religious context. To my surprise, it had a face! It's such a happy-looking dove, flying across the cake like, "Hi guys!" I think Delaney approved.
Tim's cousin Sindi made these and sent them. So thoughtful!
We had our neighbors over too (Delaney's BFF Norah and her family), and had a nice afternoon of burgers and hot dogs, cake and ice cream. Then we had a quiet night before everyone left the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment