Thursday, January 22, 2015

Timmy Says

This little guy delights and amuses me so much.  I love seeing the world through his eyes, listening to his commentary, and answering his questions -- although sometimes I think my answers disappoint him.  There are times when I'm like, "I don't know, Bud."  And there are times I try a little harder.  But I just enjoy our time together so much.

On the way home for lunch today he was pointing out things he saw along the way, and one of the things was, "Look, Mama, a monster truck!"

I said, "Oh, I didn't see it."

"It's back there, you missed it," he said.  "Mama, how do you drive a monster truck?"

"I guess you drive a monster truck like you drive anything else: you start it up, put it in gear and then go, right?"

"No, I mean, how do you get inside the monster truck because it's so high?"

"Maybe there's a step you can use to climb," I offered.

"No, there's no step.."  (After a pause) "I just don't know how you get up there.."

"I bet there's a ladder that comes down or maybe some steps that come down when you open the door," I said.

"Mama, can we go in a monster truck sometime?"

"But I don't know anyone who has a monster truck, Buddy, who I could ask.."

"We can go on that one, we can just use it," he said.

"But we can't just go into somebody's truck without their permission."

"You can just ask her."  He was getting exasperated.  Why couldn't I see how simple of a matter this really was?

"Do you remember the time when there was someone waiting outside CCD in a Jeep Wrangler that had no roof, and she saw you looking and offered to let you sit in it?"

"Yeah."

"Well, maybe something like that will happen sometime with a monster truck."

That seemed to settle the matter for him, and he moved on to something else after that.  We talked all the way home about this or that, and my heart swelled with appreciation for the fun little person he is and for being able to share all these little moments with him.  He's growing up so fast.  I hope he always wants to talk to me about all kinds of things.

On a sidenote, does anyone have a monster truck he can get in?  It would really make his day.

No comments:

Post a Comment