Sunday, November 2, 2014

Halloween 2014: In which we come out of hiding and talk to our neighbors

Trick-or-treating hours were from 5 to 7, which was the earliest we've ever done it, but it worked out very well.  My pictures turned out better, and it was nice to be done by 7, and able to get the kids to bed at a decent hour.  

We walked around with our next-door neighbors, keeping up with the kids as best we could.  It was fun to see so many families outside at once, in the daylight, and talk to them.   At one point we stopped on the sidewalk to chat with a family who have three kids, two of whom are named Delaney and Timmy.  I was so excited to meet them and asked them where they lived.  And you know where they live?  Four doors down from us.  And they've been there for as long as we have.  I felt like the biggest ass at that moment.  The mother must have felt the same way because she said to me, "I know I should have come over and introduced myself, but I've just been so consumed with life."  I nodded, completely understanding.  Most of the time when I'm home, I'm consumed with either housework or what's going on outside my back door since that's where the kids go out to play, and I'm always checking on Timmy.  Everything and everyone else escapes my notice.  I've never seen these kids, but I remember waving to their parents as we walked by their house one night about a week ago.  We have to be friends with them, we just have to!

Oh, and another jaw-dropping fun fact that I learned during trick-or-treating?  Delaney and Annie's dance teacher lives in the house directly across the street!  I do go outside sometimes, I promise I do.  I even look out the window because my shades are always open.  I'd met most of the people on my street before this night.  (Now I've met them all, except maybe one.)  But like I said, I am mostly concerned with what's going on behind my house since that is my kids' primary stomping grounds.  And I park my car in the garage which is in back of the house too.

What amazing discoveries we make when we all leave our houses at the same time and start walking around!  Back into hiding we go until next year, I guess.  I do want to have coffee with Delaney and Timmy's mom, though.  I wish I had a dog now, so I could have an excuse to walk by at least a couple times a day.  And yes, I know I have Timmy, but as anyone who's ever tried to go on a walk with a three-year-old knows, it is not the same.  
Delaney originally wanted to be a scientist for Halloween and I was really proud.  I bought her a lab coat and goggles and .. that was it, I couldn't think of anything else.  Then she saw Annie's fairy costume and asked for one just like it.  I couldn't turn her down, especially since the fairy costume was way cuter than a boring old lab coat and goggles.
I asked Delaney to pose with her BFF Norah, who lives next door, but Timmy wanted to be in the picture too.  He's a big cheese.  Norah is 7 and also in second grade at Delaney's school.  Her family are Patriots and Red Sox fans too.  They even have a dog named Fenway.
Delaney and Delaney down the street.  She's 6 1/2.  I'm not sure what her costume is supposed to be.  A bride?  She looks like it's her First Communion.  She is cute as can be, and I've been working on Delaney to seek that girl out and be friends.
Timmy and Timmy down the street who is 5
We went to every single house in our neighborhood and the kids all filled up their little pumpkin buckets to the top.  It was so much fun to watch Timmy's joy and excitement as he ran from door to door.  He started out running but by the end he was dragging as his bucket got heavier and heavier.  Eventually he needed me to carry it.  
All in all, a fun Halloween!  It was in the '70s that night and by morning it was 43 degrees.  You got to love the crazy fall weather fluctuations.

1 comment:

  1. Such adorable costumes! Looks like it was a fun night :) And yes, I totally feel like I'm holed up in my house since we are set way back off the road. I never see anyone in our neighborhood from like October through May. But in the summer, when we venture out to the sidewalks, we always make new neighborhood friends :)

    ReplyDelete