Thursday, July 3, 2014

Moving update

I can't stand being behind on my blogging so I'll just do a quick update.  I still need to post about our vacation in St. Augustine (waiting for a few more pictures -- ahem, Mom:), and Delaney's birthday is in less than a week.  I don't have anything prepared for that.  We just moved in to our new house a few days ago, and there's so much still needing to be done.  But Tim and the kids just left to go to Lowe's and knowing that I have probably at least an hour to myself at this point, I just couldn't bring myself to do anything productive.:)

I feel like we've been in the process of moving for forever.  Going 40 days without a home took its toll on us all.  Now we're here and working at a furious pace to get things in order before Tim goes to work Monday.  I kept wanting to wait until we had things at least 85% around here and then do a post with a lot of pictures, but I don't know when that will be.  It is so nice to finally have a place we can call home for awhile again, and I need to keep reminding myself of that whenever I get frustrated with how long it's taking to get everything the way we want it inside.  We've got our nice cozy beds to sleep in, a table to eat at, and that's more than we had just a couple days ago.  After Disney, and after our week in the condo at Harbor Island, we spent four days just camping out in here with sleeping bags and our coffee maker, and nothing else.  It wasn't fun.  On the first night we spent here we saw a lot of those big cockroaches that were our friends in NC as well.  (I know they're still around, but I haven't been seeing them in the house since that first night).  Anyway, that first night as I lay there in the sleeping bag on the bedroom floor, thinking, 'This is so much better than that lumpy mattress I slept in last night.  The floor is nice and flat and firm.. It will do nicely,' I had no idea what I was in for.  At some point later as I slept on my stomach I awoke to a tickly feeling on my arm.  I raised myself up quickly on my hands and saw the dark shape fall on my sleeping bag.  "Oh no, oh no, oh no.." I cried as I scrambled out of my bag and dived over Tim's body.  He wasn't happy to be waking up and having to kill a cockroach, and I was as annoyed with him as he was with me.  It was on my arm.  My arm.  I did not sleep much after that.  I turned on the bathroom lights and and kept them on all night the next two nights, and that seemed to keep them at bay.  And like I said, I haven't seen any more of them in the house, but I am not fool enough to think that doesn't mean they're here.  I am accustomed to their presence after four years in NC, and I've found them in all kinds of places, but it really freaked me out to have on climbing on me.  

I'd forgotten how overwhelming it is to have a house full of boxes once the movers leave, but we made quick work of them.  The kids really rose to the occasion and they were awesome little helpers.  We gave them a couple chores and promised them some vague reward, and I figured they'd work for a little while until they got bored and started to complain.  But they were eager to help.  One of the things I hate most about unpacking a box is having to deal with all the paper and make it into nice neat stacks.  This time I would unwrap an object and hand the paper off to one of the girls and they would go smooth it out and lay it in a stack for me.  Even Timmy helped to some extent.  They did that and more, and Tim and I were both very pleased with them and told them so.  They're good kids.

It's back to work for me now.  I've wasted enough time.  Eek -- all afternoon we've been having rainy/ threatening storm kind of weather, and I just jumped out of my skin as I heard another loud buzzer outside giving us the "all clear" for the "lightning within 5 miles" warning we got a while ago.  This will take some getting used to.  They've been happening all afternoon -- alarms, buzzers, warnings and all clears over lightning.  I hate to see the fuss they'll make over a hurricane.  The first time it happened we didn't know what it was and couldn't understand the voice on the loudspeaker except for the part about "all personnel take cover."  Crazy.

Once we get things put away and things set up how we want them, I will post some pictures.  It's been a lot more of a challenge than we expected, getting our things that fit so well in the house before, to fit in these spaces.  It's hard for both of us to be patient about this because we need it done YESTERDAY, with him going back to work in just a short few days.  Eventually we'll get there.
Home sweet home
Our house has lots of shade from these beautiful mossy oaks which are everywhere around here.  

The inside of this house might be in a bit of disarray, but I love how my summer wreath looks against the black door.  It's the small things.
View out the back door.  Behind the big tree on the left is a playground we can shoo the kids off to. Just under the trees on the right you can see the female recruit battalion's parade deck.  The kids love to watch the recruits and before Timmy knew what to call them he said, "Mama, where the kids who are trying to be Marines?"  Apt description.
I snapped this while out for a run around the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment