Tuesday, May 20, 2014

One last North Carolina birthday: Annie turns 5

I've been telling myself, once Annie's birthday has come and gone, I will focus on moving stuff.  Now that time has come, so we'll see what I can start getting done between now and when the movers come right after Memorial Day weekend.  

Her birthday was fairly low key, but as always I was surprised at how much energy I used planning the details.  I always look forward to my kids' birthdays and I always want them to be special even though the parties are never huge and I'm not the Pinterest queen (so far from it!).  I don't bake cakes either.  So the details that I am left to fuss over are things like: the invitations look like junk mail; will they get lost in backpacks or thrown away on sight?  Will at least half of the kids I invited be able to come?  Should I get the helium tank and balloons or just a bunch of balloons from the grocery store on the day of? (The answer turned out to kind of be both. I got the helium tank and balloons for the house on the day of her actual birthday, and I picked up a giant Mylar balloon at Walmart the morning of the party.)  We ordered a cake from Walmart, but on the morning of the party we found out that the order had been lost, so Annie picked one of the ready-made ones.

We had the party on Saturday morning at the paint-your-own-pottery place downtown.  It was on the smaller side and ladies-only -- partly because that's what Annie wanted but even more importantly, because space was limited.  It ended up working out so well, and being one of the easiest parties I've ever thrown for one of the kids.  For one thing, the place was already decorated and I didn't need to worry about any of that.  Once all the little girls were settled in, the hostess took over and managed the painting portion which took the first hour.  I was free to just chat with the other moms, and not have to worry about anything.  Annie had lots of fun painting her little cupcake, surrounded by her sister and six other little girls we know from bible study, preschool or the Y.  It was a great way for all of us to get to spend time with friends before we have to say goodbye.
I tried not to take it personally that she didn't want to be in this picture with me.  The only reason she's in the frame is because I threatened to take her presents away.
On her actual birthday, which was yesterday, she got to be the birthday girl at school and later on, we Skyped with Grandma and Grandpa while doing cake and presents here at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment