Monday, May 26, 2014

Have running shoes, will travel

Tomorrow kicks off a crazy month of transient living until we get our house in South Carolina at the end of June.  We will check into a hotel and stay there for 10 days until Delaney's done with school.  After that it's St. Augustine for a week, Disney for a few days after that, another hotel, a beach house in SC for another week or so, and then hopefully we'll be moving into a new house right after that.

We realized long ago that a whole month of living in various hotels and resorts, and eating meals out all the time, would spell disaster for us both from a fitness standpoint.  I had kind of resigned myself to it, saying, "It's just a month.  We can go back to our good habits after that."  But then as it got closer Tim started saying, "We've got to come up with a plan."  I reluctantly agreed to maybe, just maybe, go along with whatever plan he came up with.

A couple days later he emailed me the link to the Runner's World Run Streak, with the question, "Are you in?"  The challenge is this: to run at least one mile each and every day, beginning Memorial Day and ending July 4.  That's 40 consecutive days of running -- eek!  I've been lucky if I can manage two runs per week these last few months.  I wasn't so sure about 40 days in a row.  It seemed like overdoing it, and I didn't want to end up hurt.  But I read the FAQs, and one of the questions was basically, isn't running every day bad for you?  The answer was that the only requirement to keep the streak going is one mile, as slow and easy as you want it.  One slow and easy mile never hurt anybody, so that's what we can do when we need a rest day.

I'm in!  But it's a little daunting.  There are always so many reasons why it's not a convenient time to go for a run, things like 'I need my blow-dry to last until tomorrow night', or 'it's too hot out right now', or 'it's too early and I haven't had enough coffee', or 'I know I should run, but I could really use a nap', and then, 'Oops, the day got away from me -- no more time for running.'  Then there are the kids with their many needs.  They need to be fed multiple times, bathed, put to bed, all that stuff.  It's going to require a lot of teamwork between me and Tim to make this work, and it's going to take me just doing it instead of making a million excuses as to why I can't.  I'm going to have to manage my time a lot more effectively, which is hard to do on any regular day, let alone on a vacation.  I might even have to become a morning runner (gulp!).  But every time I get worried about how I'm going to manage it (especially on the Disney days), I tell myself it's JUST 1 MILE.  If that's all I can do for seven days in a row, then that's enough.

We're both going to try to make the best choices we can at restaurants too.  I'll choose a salad or vegetables over fries whenever possible, and try to limit the breaded and fried seafood.

So I'm putting it out here because once it's on my blog it's official.  I also put myself on some kind of board with the other people who are taking part in this challenge, so that will help.  As another layer of accountability, I will try to check in with Laura on Fitness Mondays whenever I can.  Last, but certainly not least, I'll have my husband to answer to if I fail to do a run.  He is also imposing a schedule of push-ups, pull-ups and air squats on us both.  He even plans to bring his pull-up bar wherever we go, and set it up wherever we happen to be staying.  He might be a little cray-cray, as Delaney likes to say.

I started the streak with a 12-minute run after I got the kids to bed.  I assume it was over a mile.  I did a shorter, easier run because I just went running a few miles yesterday.  I'll try to be better about keeping track of my mileage, and I have an app on my phone for that.  I do not like to use the app because I think the voice sounds condescending, but I can get over that.

Here goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment