Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Snow days

I am kind of a fanatic about checking the weather forecast every day (sometimes more than once), and as of Sunday night, weather.com was predicting a typical week in February, chilly with some clouds, maybe some rain.  Then on Monday morning, Annie's teacher mentioned in an email that some more bad weather was headed our way, and there might be more delays/closures ahead.  I thought to myself, 'Nuh-uh,' but then I checked the weather and there it was -- snow and wintry mix on Tuesday.  About 1 to 2 inches of snow was predicted, and I got the call that evening that school was cancelled for Tuesday.  I thought it was a bit of an overreaction.  But on Tuesday morning it started snowing.. and kept snowing.. and kept right on snowing big fat fluffy flakes.  Tim came home from work early, by 11 I think.  It didn't stop until sometime that night, and by the time it was done we were blanketed in an astonishing 9 inches of snow.  

The snow looks pretty but it is such a nuisance.  We are so woefully ill-equipped for it.  Yesterday Delaney said to me, "When I grow up and I'm a mom, I'm going to play outside in the snow with my kids.  And I'll have snow boots and snowsuits for everybody."  I just chuckled.  This is what our snow gear consists of for all three of them: two cheesy pairs of rain boots, one honest-to-goodness snowsuit that the girls take turns wearing, a women's size 8 pair of snow boots (for the one that doesn't get the snowsuit), one heavy duty set of mittens (we used to have two but we lost one), various other hats and mittens, and layers upon layers of everything else we own.  Pile it all on, peel it all off, wash and/or dry, repeat.  It was 25 degrees yesterday and they went outside twice, once in the morning and once in the afternoon.  They were as happy as could be in their cobbled-together snow clothes.  I said to Tim last night, "After the last snow storm I wanted to get them all some more stuff, but you know it would have never snowed again if I had.  The only reason we need it is because I didn't get it!"  But they survived because they don't have the sense to know they ought to be cold and miserable.  They just want to be outside.  

This morning was another day off school and work.  I woke up feeling kind of grumpy and cabin-feverish, but I couldn't help but smile at them all having fun out there.  What is there to complain about when we all get to spend the day together in a warm house with good food to eat?  This morning it was freezing and sleeting, but now it's warmed up to just cold and rainy.  The snow and ice are turning to slush, and that cute snowman is looking very droopy.  I'm glad I got pictures.  Thank you, snow, for letting us have all this quality time together, but I really hope you won't be back this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment