Saturday, July 27, 2013

Timmy's 2nd birthday

Timmy's birthday got off to a really icky start, when his sisters came out to the kitchen and reported to me that there was poop in his bed.  I ran back there to see and it turned out to be puke, not poop.  It was everywhere in there -- blanket, sheet, lovey, even in his hair.  So the first item on the agenda was a bath for Timmy, followed by laundry for me.

In spite of having just thrown up all over himself and his bed, he was his chipper self when I brought him out to the kitchen.  He opened his presents from us and ate his breakfast.  
A big Tonka dump truck
Kind of a dumb present, but he loves Elmo so I thought he'd like this.  He did like it, for about 30 seconds.  Not pictured is another gift he liked a lot better -- a package of cars and trucks.  
Tim took Delaney and Timmy to their respective 6-year and 2-year well visits so I could go to PiYo.  I was overjoyed at getting out of a doctor appointment and a double one at that, so that I could do something far more enjoyable.  But why on earth would I schedule the kid's checkup on his birthday?  My only thought at the time I called to schedule had been to make sure he and Delaney could go together as soon as possible after both their birthdays.  Obviously I accomplished that, but I think in the future there should be no more doctor visits on birthdays for the kids.  It's just mean, especially if they're getting shots.  

Tim was exhausted by the time he got home.  He said, "There's a reason why doctor's appointments and dentist and things like that are in YOUR lane."  He said the doctor had asked him confusing questions and there had been a ton of paperwork.  He had offered to do this one for me, but I don't think he'll be volunteering again anytime soon.  That's OK honey, thanks for taking one for the team.:)  Timmy weighed in at 26.8 pounds and 35 inches tall.  He is right around average in both height and weight, still growing along his curve.  He had to get shots too, and when he saw me later he pointed to his thigh and said, "Owie.  Kiss."  I gave him a kiss on his leg, a hug and some ibuprofen.  I said, "It hasn't been much of a birthday for you, huh, Bud?"  Delaney said, "He's having a horrible birthday!  First he had throw up all over his bed and then he had to get shots!"  I said, "Yeah, but he doesn't know any better."  Despite the rough start to his day, he was just as cheerful and loving as ever for the rest of the day.  He doesn't need a perfect birthday to be happy.  He just needs love.  

Birthdays are very minimalist affairs in our family.  A 2-year-old?  He's lucky we even hung up that banner in the kitchen.  After naps he and his sisters frosted cupcakes together.
Right after dinner we called Grandma and Grandpa on Skype, along with cousins Sofia and Natalie, and we all sang 'happy birthday' to our little man.
This was about a split-second before he surprised us by blowing the candle out before the song was done.  I love his little grin as he was thinking about it.
Today his birthday present from Grandma arrived.  I asked him, "What do you think is in there?"  He yelled, "Trucks!"  He was right, there were all kinds of them.  When he pulled that package of Matchbox cars out of the box, he said, "Wow!"  He's been playing quietly for hours with these things, not causing me any trouble.
I'm going to end this post with some standard 'update' type stuff, since this will be the last one for six months.  It will be in bullet format because I'm in a bit of a hurry as we get closer to the kids' bedtime.  Right now they are wrecking the living room with all those cars and leaving me in peace.

- He still sleeps about 12 hours a night and he takes at least a 2-hour, but more often than not, a 3+ hour nap in the afternoon.  He's still in a crib.

- He still nurses at naptime and bedtime, and wow, we've made it to the age of 2.  He's the only one I've nursed for that long.  

- He is regularly using two or three words at a time, such as "Get it - Wuddy." (This is his way of asking someone else to get Lovey or telling us he wants to get Lovey.)  His grammar is horrible but so cute.  "Mama do'd it."  When he's really upset he is reduced to crying and shrieking one word.

- He can be very indecisive.  A conversation about what to have for breakfast goes something like this: Timmy: "Egg."  Me:  "You want an egg for breakfast?"  Timmy: "No.. Toast!"  Me: "You want toast?"  Timmy:  "No.."

- He is very affectionate with us.  He love to give hugs, kisses and high-fives to all of us.  When he's in the mood, he might give out several hugs and kisses at a time.

- He still tries to bully the other babies and toddlers in the child watch room sometimes.  The ladies who work there keep correcting him and sending him to timeout when necessary, and I think he'll eventually learn as long as he's not allowed to get away with it.  At least he's not knocking over babies like bowling pins anymore.

- He talks about himself in third person sometimes.  He'll say, "Mama.. Daddy.. Sissy.. Timmy.. Sissy.." or something like that.  He likes to look at himself in the mirror too.  He answers the question "Who's Daddy's buddy?" or "Who's Mama's boy?" with a loud and proud "Timmy!"

- We have not even started thinking about potty training.

That is about all I can think of right now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment