Sunday, November 18, 2012

Birthday Ball

We had our Marine Corps Birthday Ball this past Friday.  As promised, I have pictures to share.  We had a great time.  I need not have lost sleep for two nights in a row prior to it, worried about leaving the kids with a  babysitter and going an hour away.  They were fine, and it was so much fun getting dressed up and hanging out with grownups.

I shopped my closet for a dress this year, choosing a simple black gown I bought a few years ago at Nordstrom.  It did wonders for my posture because every time I slouched even a little, the spaghetti straps would fall.  Tim wore his fancy new evening dress uniform or "mess dress" as it's commonly referred to.  

Since I was reusing the dress, shoes and accessories, I decided to go all out on my hair and makeup this year.  I went to the salon as soon as the kids were down for a nap, and I asked for a half-up/half-down hairdo inspired by a photo I saw of Carrie Underwood at some event.  The girl who did my hair did a decent job, but I think I ended up with hair more like Pam from The Office.  The top was very flat, pretty much like the way I wear it every day.  After some momentary disappointment I was OK with it.  My hair was still very pretty and shiny, the curls were cute, and I didn't have to worry as much about messing it up between another hour spent at home, and then another in the car on the way to the Ball.  

While I was getting my hair done, I said to the hairdresser, "I know this is a long shot, but is there any chance I can get my makeup done here too?"  I was so happy when she told me the aesthetitian had an opening.  I loved getting my makeup done and then not having to do anything when I got home besides put on my dress.  I am kicking myself for not getting a close-up picture of the makeup, though.  She did an awesome job.  I walked out of there feeling like a million bucks.

I made Tim get out the tripod and take some shots of us before we left, so the babysitter could keep Timmy occupied inside.  I'm so glad we did that because photos taken in natural light are always way better than ones taken inside.  And there was no professional photographer taking pictures at the Ball.
This was Tim's first time wearing this uniform.  He said, "I feel like a matador!"  I thought he looked dashing.
I know Andrea and Cameron from my Marine Corps days and now they both work or have worked with Tim.  We were all at a table together feeling like old fogies because we've never heard that newfangled line dance song.  I guess it was about time for "Electric Slide" to be replaced.
I've gotten many compliments on the back of this dress so right before we left I told Tim he needed to take a picture of me from the back too.  However, that silly strap used to hang the dress on the hanger kept coming out no matter how many times I tucked it in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment