Saturday, October 27, 2012

Timmy at 15 months

Our boy has changed a lot in the past few weeks.  He has gone and turned into a toddler on us.  Just the other day, someone said to me, "I saw you guys at the pool all summer, but for some reason I remember the baby being a lot younger."  It was such a short time ago, and yet he was so much younger.

A couple weeks ago we gave him his first haircut, and just like that he went from shaggy-headed baby to handsome boy.  He'd been getting to the point where if he were a girl, I could sweep the hair to the side and use a clippy or bow.  Or I could do a water-fountain ponytail on the top of his head.  But no, it was time for a haircut.  When Tim saw him afterward he said, "I can see his whole face at once!"
He said his first word this month: "ball."  He loves playing with balls -- tossing them with us, throwing them and chasing after them, and now that he's walking, kicking them too.  He likes toy cars and trucks a lot too, but he won't say their names, only "mum, mum" as he pushes them around.

And just in the last couple days, he has begun walking the majority of the time.  We wondered when that would happen.  He took his first steps at least two months ago!  He looks like such a big boy now.  Here is a video from the other day when I took him and Annie to a gymnastics place for open play.
He can still be pretty moody.  Just this morning, Tim was complaining to me that I have given Timmy the expectation that he will always be carried out of his room in the morning.  I remember hearing him wail as I was enjoying a little extra shuteye.  Tim thinks that letting him come out of the room himself will "toughen him up."  I don't agree.  I believe that life will afford him plenty of opportunities to toughen him up.  (Annie already helps toughen him up!)  Carrying him out of his room like a little prince is something I don't mind doing.  But my patience has a limit too, and my arms get tired.  Sometimes I have to put him down and let him cry.  I won't hold him all day.

He knows how to go down the stairs backwards, and that is good because I'm looking forward to getting rid of those horrible gates we have.  But he's still in danger of falling because he doesn't always pay attention to what he's doing.  I'm trying to remember at what age did we feel comfortable taking down gates when the girls were that little?  
He is my little scavenger.  He climbs up on the table after meals and finishes what his sisters don't eat.  I do feed him his own meal, but scrounging for scraps is something he enjoys.  I like that we're wasting less than before.
He is such a handful at this age, but he is so darn cute.  I remind him of this all the time:  "You're lucky you're cute!"  I kiss him at least 20 times a day, and tell him he's "mama's sweet baby boy."  Sometimes I can't stop staring at him.  Other times I'm completely exasperated and have no idea what to do with him.  
Every day I feel awe, wonder and gratitude for the blessing he is in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment