Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Day in the Life: Fall 2012

It is already time for the fall edition of Day in the Life hosted by Navigating the Mothership.  I love doing these, but for some reason I had a harder time motivating myself to do this one than the others.  One day I know I'll be so happy I took these snapshots of life in every season while the kids are little.  In fact I already enjoy reading the ones I've done before.

Today is Tuesday, October 23, 2012.

6 a.m.  My alarm goes off.  Already?  But my bed is so nice and warm.  It takes a lot of willpower to get up and start the day.  

6:10 a.m. The girls are still sound asleep when I go in their room.  I turn on the light and say, "Time to wake up, girls.  Make your beds, pick up your toys, use the potty, brush your teeth."  It's the same thing every morning.  I help them both make their beds, and then I go to Timmy's room because I hear him too.  I nurse him, change his diaper, and bring him out for breakfast.
Timmy has been protesting being put in the high chair lately.  He stops crying when I bring him a bowl of oatmeal.  He happily eats it with his fingers.

6:53 a.m. Time to leave for the bus stop.  Today's theme is "Put a Cap on Drugs" day as part of a drug awareness week at school, and kids are encouraged to wear a cap or hat.  We don't have a lot of hats for little girls that aren't made for winter, and it's supposed to be high 70s today.  Delaney dug up this visor she made herself last year in preschool, so that's what she's wearing.  She's taking breakfast to go, and the little piggy is accompanying her on the walk along with Annie and myself.
This is how it looks when we walk out the door.
7:09 a.m.  We're back from the bus stop, and brrrr!  It is cold out there.  Annie complains to Tim that her hands are cold and he shows her how to warm them up in his armpits.
7:19 a.m. Bye, bye, Daddy.  See you later.  Much later.  Tim has already told me he's going to be late today.  Timmy says, "Mum, mum" which means "vroom, vroom."  For months I've stood at the window with him and said "vroom, vroom" when Tim starts the truck.  I'm so tickled to hear him saying it himself.
7:20 to 8:10 a.m.  This part of the morning is always a blur to me.  I'm sluggish, I'm grumpy, I'm unorganized.  I drink coffee and flit around from one part of the house to another, trying to decide what to do next.  Drink some coffee, check my email, keep Timmy out of trouble, pick an outfit for picture day for Annie.. wait, what was I doing?  I hate morning.  I turn on Little Einsteins for Annie and put Timmy back in the high chair with some Kix so I can try to make myself presentable.  Right before I go to my bathroom, I check the weather.  Looks like a nice day.  I'll have to go for a run this morning.
8:10 a.m. Annie tells me that Timmy is stinky.  "Are you sure?"  I ask her.  He usually waits until after his nap to do his business.  I hope he only tooted, but I take a little peek and sniff in his pants anyway.  Cough, gag.  Looks like Annie is right.  It is too early to be wiping poo, especially with such a squirmy and uncooperative baby.

8:20 a.m. I have some difficulty deciding what Annie should wear today.  It's still chilly so maybe her legs shouldn't be bare, but I don't know if I can find leggings that will look right under this dress.  But Annie seems to think this outfit is OK, and she looks cute in it.  She tells me to take a picture of her, and then keeps running off.  I say, "Annie, Annie, come back!" and she laughs hysterically, wondering where I'll be lurking with the camera next.  I feel like paparazzi.
8:40 a.m. Time to take Annie to preschool.  I tell her if she smiles for the picture, I'll give her ice cream with sprinkles.  I say, "I'll know if you do or not because they send proofs home the same day."  She says she will, but I'm not so sure.

9:20 a.m. I take Timmy on a 3.5 mile run.  He goes to sleep quickly because even though he doesn't take a morning nap anymore (most of the time), he still gets tired.  If we're in the car long enough or he's moving in the stroller long enough, he's out like a light.  When we get back, I just push him into the backyard and leave the back door open while I pick up around the house and then enjoy a piece of the coffee cake Tim made yesterday.
Sweet Timsy
11:10 a.m.  Timmy's up and he's not in a good mood.  I just don't know what to do with him lately, he's always so cranky and nothing makes him happy.  I noticed a couple days ago that a molar just poked through.  Maybe he's got more molars coming.  I give him some infants' ibuprofen to see if that will help.  Then I get Annie's lunch ready to try to get us on the fast track to naps after she gets home.  
11:40 a.m.  We leave to get Annie.  At the door Ms. Amanda hands me a clipboard to sign and a proof sheet.  After glancing at it I remark that Annie must have really wanted her ice cream with sprinkles.  I think they're the best pictures taken of her since she was a baby!  I can't wait to see how Delaney's turn out.  Hers were last week but the proofs haven't come home yet.
12:15 p.m.  I dread mealtimes with Annie.  We make every effort to keep a variety of healthful and tasty foods in this house.  We also have a little bit of junk food that we try to eat sparingly (i.e. a handful of salty chips during lunch).  She ONLY wants the junk.  And today she wants none of what I put on her plate except raisins.  The juicy apple wedges, peanut butter and graham crackers are all discarded.  Trying to feed her seems like an exercise in futility.  I could just throw a handful of raisins or a slice of bread at her every now and then and stop worrying about it.  But I've read that if you keep exposing kids to food they'll eventually break down and eat some of it.  

After eating a few raisins and some V8 juice, I then serve her ice cream with sprinkles as promised, reminding her that if we hadn't made the deal with the pictures she'd be getting no treat at all.  She has a terrible diet.  If it weren't for raisins being at the top of her ever-shrinking list, she'd be constipated all the time.  I don't know what I'm going to do when she decides that raisins are no good anymore.
12:45 p.m. I put some of last night's chili on the stove to heat up, and then take the kids to the girls' room for story time.  

1 p.m. Both kids are napping, and I finally have some free time.  I take a shower and eat a big bowl of chili.  After that I check email and Facebook, read a blog or two, and then collapse exhausted on my bed.  I feel bad for people who don't have this option in the middle of the day.  There is not enough caffeine in the world to take the place of a good old power nap.

2:35 p.m. Time to get up.  Part 2 of this day is about to start.  Part 2 is a few hours shorter than part 1, but a lot more intense.  I decide to try to fortify myself with a cup of pumpkin spice tea, and I'm also hoping it will soothe my belly.  The chili isn't sitting too well.
3 p.m. I only have time for a couple sips when Annie gets up, followed closely by Timmy.  I get them both ready to go to the bus stop in 10 minutes.
Timmy is wearing a wool diaper cover I got from my sister Anna's Etsy shop.  You should check it out, her stuff is adorable.  It's what got me into cloth diapering in the first place!
3:14 p.m.  We're a little bit late getting to the bus stop.
3:20 p.m.  Back at home I get the kids a snack and then Delaney starts on her homework.  She tells me even before I open her binder that she has extra homework today, and it will be all about nocturnal and diurnal animals.  She has to color the different animals, cut them out, and glue them either on the nocturnal or diurnal side of the paper.  I have to Google some of them, rattlesnakes for instance.  From what I gather rattlesnakes are both, and I tell her to glue them in the middle of the paper.  I also learn that none of the kids' glue sticks or bottles of school glue are operational.  Luckily Tim has a regular bottle of Elmer's in his glue collection in the garage.
The other part of Delaney's homework is more along the lines of what we usually see.  She writes the letter V in uppercase and lowercase five times each, and then draws a picture of two things that start with the same sound as "pumpkin."  She draws her friend PJ from down the street, and a pig.

Delaney also informs me that I really should send the money for the popcorn like it says on the flyer that went home a couple days ago.  It's for all the kids to have on "Fun Friday."  I tell her I will.  It's a good thing she tells me these things because when I read the flyer I had no idea what the popcorn was for, and I wasn't going to buy it because we already have popcorn.  I make a mental note to send the 50 cents before Thursday.

4:28 p.m.  I send the girls outside to play, and they actually go.  They haven't been giving me any trouble about that the past couple days.  You wouldn't believe it, but despite the beautiful weather we have this time of year, I have to practically twist their arms to get them to go out and play.  I start cutting up potatoes.  Timmy climbs up to one of his favorite perches, the kitchen table.  I know I shouldn't let him play up there, but when he's up there he stays out of worse trouble.  More importantly, he stays out of my hair.  Late afternoon is prime crabbypants time for him, and I am not looking forward to cooking while a sobbing child clings to my leg.
4:45 p.m.  Timmy tests his walking skills as he has been doing more and more frequently over the past couple months.  Learning to walk has been a very gradual process for him.  He's getting closer every day to mastering it.  He walks back and forth across the kitchen and falls with a dramatic "Oh!" or "Ahh!"  I pretend to be startled every time he falls, saying, "Timmy, you fell down!  You fell down again!"  For a little while he's amused at my mock concern.
5 p.m. Happy times are over.  Timmy wants to whine and get into trouble, climbing up on the oven handle while I have the oven and a couple of the burners going.  He has no choice but to be parked back in the high chair.  He protests the indignity of this with a lot of loud crying.  I know that putting him on my back in the Ergo is another option for when I'm short arms and he wants attention; but I can't stand the way he yanks on my hair.  He sits there the whole rest of the time dinner is cooking.  Thank goodness he only cries the first few minutes, and then he stares into space while sucking his thumb.

5:30 p.m.  Dinner is served.  Tonight it's parmesan crusted chicken, garlic mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli.  Tonight I'm also in the mood for a tall glass of chocolate milk.  Delaney's also having chocolate milk and Annie's having strawberry.
Delaney eats all of her chicken and broccoli, and I excuse her from having to eat any of the potatoes.  I didn't season them well enough, and I didn't save any of the cooking water for them either, so they've gotten cold quickly.  Annie doesn't want to eat anything.  She asks to be excused, and I tell her that she can go but she's getting no treat after dinner.  I also warn her that if she comes back later saying she's hungry, I will leave that plate of food on the table for her.  It's the same old song and dance every night.  I know she'll be back to negotiate eventually.  Why do we negotiate?  I don't know why.  It's mentally taxing and in the end she still eats very little of nutritional value.

5:42 p.m.  What a nice surprise!  Tim's not going to be as late as he told me he would be.  It's better that I'm prepared for him to be late and then pleasantly surprised when he comes home at a reasonable time.  It really stinks when he says he's going to be home on time or a little early, and then gets tied up in something and can't leave.  
5:55 p.m.  Daddy's home!  He lets the girls get in the front seat with him before he backs in the driveway.  Annie sits on his lap and helps steer.  I can see her huge smile in the side view mirror.
"Mum, mum."
6:06 p.m.  It's negotiation time.  Between bites of his own dinner Tim tries coaxing and cajoling Annie to eat almost a negligible portion of hers.  "5 bites."  "No, 1."  "6 bites."  "No, 1!"  "4 bites!"  "1!"  I have no patience for this nonsense, but if he wants to play these games he can have at it.
Tim says they can both have ice cream afterward.  I guess Annie must have eaten enough as far as he is concerned.  They lick their bowls clean when they're done.

6:20 p.m.  Bathtime.  Timmy doesn't last long in the tub before he starts fussing and trying to climb out.  He isn't really dirty anyway, so I get him out and wrap him in a towel.  Then, as we always do, I ask him where his arms are while he tries to pull them out.
Timmy's saying, "Chee.."  Oh, I could just eat him up!
You've probably noticed the lack of self portraits up to this point.  Unfortunately I'm suffering my worst breakout in 10 years and I have no desire to show what I really look like here.  It is bad.  I used to think acne was a teenage problem, but my acne started when I was 21, and it's looking like I will go straight from pimples to wrinkles.  As long as I was pregnant or breastfeeding full time, I enjoyed a relatively clear complexion, but now that I'm neither of those things, the acne is back with a vengeance.  Nothing I try works.  I'll have to see a dermatologist soon because I have no interest in the natural cure at this time.  Here I show you the "not as bad" side of my face.

6:30 p.m.  The kids are tired and fighting.  We must get this bedtime process moving!
6:45 p.m.  I try something new and have Delaney take turns reading pages of Hop on Pop with me.  Hop on Pop is the only good book I have for learning to sound out words.  I marvel at how her confidence grows when she sees a word again and knows what it is, or sees how it becomes a new word when you change just one letter.  I need more books like this because she'll have this one memorized in no time at all.
Delaney snapped this picture.  I guess Tim and Annie got tired of listening to us reading Hop on Pop.
7:15 to 7:35 p.m.  The kids are in bed but there are still a few things to do.  I sweep the kitchen floor (for at least the third time), make Delaney's lunch for tomorrow, set her outfit on the counter, and then choose my beverage for the evening, one of Tim's fancy pumpkin beers.  Just as I park my butt on the couch to enjoy it, Tim says, "You're forgetting something.  Our bed still needs to be made."  "You make it yourself!" I tell him.  I follow him back to the room to snap a picture.  He makes a rude gesture and says, "Put that in your 'day in the life'!"  I tell him that this is a PG-rated blog and I will do no such thing.  Furthermore, I tell him I'm going to expose him on my blog for what he really is, MEAN!  But I can't help but smile.
He cracks himself up.
7:37 to 10 p.m.  At last it's time to do nothing.  Some internet, some TV, my well-earned pumpkin beer, and the rest of the night quickly passes by.  
 The end.

12 comments:

  1. If you haven't already try pantothenic acid vitamins for your acne. i am 25 and have been dealing with acne since puberty and have tried many prescription and non-prescription methods was varying degrees of success. But found pantothenic acid to be the easiest and it is effective. You have to take large quantities I think 10 grams a day, so I suggest buying it on amazon the brand I use is called swanson- they sell it at vitamin stores but it is usually a lot more expensive. But look up the studies if you are interested.

    "Following from discoveries in mouse trials, in the late 1990s, a small study was published promoting the use of pantothenic acid to treat acne vulgaris.

    According to a study published in 1995 by Dr. Lit-Hung Leung,[35] high doses of vitamin B5 resolved acne and decreased pore size. Dr. Leung also proposed a mechanism, stating that CoA regulates both hormones and fatty acids, and without sufficient quantities of pantothenic acid, CoA will preferentially produce androgens. This causes fatty acids to build up and be excreted through sebaceous glands, causing acne. Leung's study gave 45 Asian males and 55 Asian females varying doses of 10–20g of pantothenic acid (100000% of the US Daily Value), 80% orally and 20% through topical cream. Leung noted improvement of acne within one week to one month of the start of the treatment." from wikipedia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of that. I think I'm going to try it. I'm so tired of tormenting my skin with salicylic acid that dries it out but doesn't help the problem. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Might want to check out BOB books for Delaney. They are nice pre/early reading books.

    I have to find that pumpkin beer! I'm generally not a fan of pumpkin (or beer, really) but somehow pumpkin beer is tasty to me. Timmy reminds me so much of Oliver and I, too, let Oli play on the table because it buys me a few minutes (and he'll climb up there again in 3 second anyway, so...)

    PS - I think you look very pretty!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura.:)

      I'll look into the BOB books. She's so eager to read and I want to help her as much as I can.

      The pumpkin beer is a real treat. If it were up to me I'd probably pick up some boring Sam Adams Light or something, but I'm glad Tim picks out new things for us to try.

      Delete
  3. I stopped nursing about 2 months ago and my acne started acting up, too. No fun! I'm not a huge fan of feeling like I'm in junior high again. Then add in some wrinkles, and my not-as-curly hair...what is up with all of this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, acne is even less fun now than it was then, now that you have to combine it with getting older. I also have a permanent crease in my forehead and could use some botox too. I kind of knew the wrinkles would come, but I never thought in a million years I'd still have zits.

      Delete
  4. Funny, I was just going to suggest the BOB books! Laura beat me to it :) They really are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kids are adorable! I'm expecting my 3rd this spring and it's nice to read a DITL from a mom of 3 who seems to handle it all so well.
    Your daughters school pictures came out SO GREAT! My 3 year old just had her first school pictures taken but they came out horrible! So horrible that I kind of want to keep them because they are so funny! Is that mean? Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the transition from 0 to 1 to be the hardest of all. The 2nd and 3rd kids just fell into place. You'll do just fine.

      Keep the horrible pictures and embarrass her with them some day!

      Delete
  6. If nothing else, parenting has definitely helped me bring my negotiation skills up to par! And I agree with hubby's coming home time, I would much rather prepare for the worst and be pleasantly surprised if he beats it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blog header! Way to fit in a run and a nap! Fun to read about your day...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe how big Annie looks and your hair is so long. Pretty! :-)

    ReplyDelete