Sunday, April 15, 2012

Delaney at 4 3/4

Tim told me one day that he observed Delaney out in the yard (while she didn't know he was paying attention), making a wish.  She gripped a dandelion tightly in her hands, closed her eyes, and said, "I wish for a puppy!"  Then she blew on it, and opened her eyes.   Tim's heart constricted at her fervent desire and innocent belief that that her wish really might come true.  In that moment, he wished it were that easy.  Alas, no puppy appeared for her, with its yappy bark and playful licks.  But Delaney still believes possibilities are just a blink away and sees magic in the most ordinary things around her.  For her, a trip to the dollar store is a dream come true!

She likes to write her name with a super-tall "y".  It looks like a long, crooked pitchfork.  She's really proud of that long "y", and I think of it as her trademark.
She has learned to do some addition problems.  I'm not sure if I have her preschool or Team Umizoomi to thank for this.  She'll walk up to me and tell me, "3+2=5."  I say, "That's right.  Good job, Delaney!"

This past month I realized the girls were long overdue for some new shoes.  Tim brought up something I hadn't thought of.  If Delaney doesn't get lace-up shoes this time around, she could go to kindergarten not knowing how to tie shoes.  At first I shrugged and tried to make the lame argument that shoelaces are going the way of the stick shift.  Obviously, that's not true because Tim and I both wear lace-up shoes, and I have to imagine that 15 or 20 years from now, adult shoes will not be Vel-cro either, just because parents have failed to teach their children the art of tying shoes.
It turns out that lace-up shoes are a little harder to find in toddler size 9 than you might think.  And you have to beware of impostors.  We selected two pairs of lace-up shoes for Delaney from Zappos.  The black and pink Adidas were our first choice, and the white and pastel pink New Balance ones were supposed to be a back-up.  The Adidas turned out to have laces that were only there for looks, and do not tie up but are stretchy.  They were impossible for Delaney to put on because she couldn't get them to stretch far enough, and it was a struggle for me to help her get her feet in them too.  So the back-up New Balance ones that look like your grandma's walking shoes will have to do.  We're done searching for shoes.  Of course, the very next day, we were at a playgroup, and I brought up new shoes.  One of the little girls running around had on a pretty cute pair of Skechers on that also happened to lace up.  But they retail for $45 and all the reviews online say, "Don't buy them, they fall apart after 2 months!" and "These are good weekend shoes, not for everyday use." In our household, we buy the kids only a couple pairs of shoes a couple times a year, and they run them into the ground.  Delaney does not care what we put on her feet as long as it's comfortable.  She'd rather be barefoot anyway.  She's happy with her grandma shoes.

She remains the friendliest child.  She loves people.  She calls out greetings to everyone who passes by our house, and has taught her sister to do so too.  If they're inside, they'll yell out the window.  Recently we were all out walking as a family, and we came across a couple ladies walking dogs.  Delaney asked for permission to pet them, and as we were chatting, one of the women said, "You're the little girls who yell at us when we walk by, aren't you?  I wondered where those little voices were coming from."  Sometimes it's a little embarrassing for me that they'll be standing at the window half-dressed if at all, with their hair a mess, because this is their favorite way to be when we're at home.
To my amazement (and sometimes consternation), Delaney still has no grasp of time, or any of the ways we measure its passage.  At all.  Today, tomorrow, in a few hours, a few minutes, a couple weeks -- all of these things mean the same.  If you tell her we're doing something in 10 minutes, she'll say, "Is that long or short?"  We've had the following conversation a couple times while Tim's at work:

Delaney:  Is Daddy coming home today?
Me: Yes, Daddy will be home in time for dinner, later this afternoon.
Delaney:  Is that after me and Annie sleep together?  By that she means bedtime, because that's when she and Annie both go to bed in their room.  During the afternoon, Annie has naptime alone in their room while Delaney has quiet time elsewhere.
Me: No, sweetie.  Daddy will be home later today, after Annie and Timmy have their nap.  We'll all have dinner together.

I told Tim, "10-hour day or 10-month deployment -- it's all the same!"  That might be a stretch.

The positive side of this is that if I tell her about plans we have for tomorrow, and those plans fall through, she's not upset because whether we do something tomorrow or next week, it's all the same.
She loves to paint, and will paint for hours, until I tell her to go outside and play, and let me have the kitchen back!  I wish Crayola sold their paints in bottles bigger than an ounce or two because they don't last very long in our house.  I just tried a different kind of paint, called Alex Paint and Sparkle.  It's a 6-pack of paint in girly colors, and two of the bottles are some sort of confetti and glitter in glue.  She loves it.  I don't because it stinks.  It claims to be non-toxic and appropriate for ages 3+, but I think it smells like formaldehyde.  PU.  But she will paint with it to her heart's content, and I will keep all the windows open while she does, until it's all gone.

I took her to kindergarten registration about a month ago.  How the time flies.. Delaney is growing up!  It occurred to me recently that I will really miss her when she's gone all day long.  She said to me a few days ago while were driving home from preschool that, "I go to school.. Just like Daddy and Auntie Karen go to work!"  I said, "That's right, because going to school is your job.  Your job is to learn."

No comments:

Post a Comment