Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Timmy at 6 months

As I sit here writing this, Timmy is in his Exersaucer, deep in concentration as he plays with all the toys.  The drool is bubbling through his lips, his brows furrow, then his eyes widen, and he breathes loudly through his mouth as his chubby fingers grab the colorful objects that surround him.  Play is such hard work!  I got the Exersaucer out of the attic the day after we arrived back here in NC, so about a week ago.  It's still new to him, and while he enjoys it immensely, he can only take it in small doses, maybe 20 minutes at a time.  He gets overwhelmed by it and starts whining, pleading with his eyes to be rescued. So I pluck him out, give him some hugs and kisses, and then see if I can get him interested in another activity.

Just a little while ago, I got him out of the Exersaucer and played "Trot, trot to Boston" with him.  He laughed so hard.  Baby laughs are the best.
After that we played "Super Timmy," where I made him fly over Delaney, and they both laughed hysterically.  After that he was pooped, and I put him down for a nap.

His sisters entertain him all the time.  He's happy just to watch them run around in circles.  Sometimes Delaney gives me some relief during nap time, when he's not cooperating with a nap of his own and wants attention.  She'll play all kinds of little games with him, like peek-a-boo and singing songs.  He loves it and so do I, because it allows me to just sit there.

It's been kind of a crazy month, what with the wreck, and the car purchasing, and the long drive back here.  But the craziness seems to be over for now, and he seems a lot more content these days.  He seems to know he's home and things are back to normal.  Babies are not supposed to have worries, but Timmy became very restless and fretful during the car drama of our last couple weeks in Massachusetts because he sensed my angst.  I am so glad to have that behind me now.
Getting the most out of picnik.com before they close in April (sniffle)
Last night I dug out the old baby monitor and he spent his first night in his own room.  He's still in a pack 'n play until Tim comes home and converts the full bed in there back into a crib.  All his stuff is in there now, including the comfy glider and ottoman I nurse him on.  He slept as well as I could expect, waking up twice to eat, then going right back to sleep.  It wasn't as bad as I feared it would be, trekking all the way across the house to him.

I quit using the Miracle Blanket this month, and now I lay him on his belly to sleep.  No more swaddle!  He doesn't sleep any better, but he doesn't sleep any worse without it.  If I laid him on his back without swaddling, he'd only flail and cry.

His naps have gotten a little longer, and he goes down much easier for them than he did last month, so that's good.  We still do not have any routine besides eat-play-sleep all day, and then sleep at night from about 6:30 to 6:30 with anywhere from two to four wake-ups.  Since coming back to NC, it's been two.

He still isn't mobile, but he seems to be getting ready, raising himself on hands and knees sometimes.

In a little over a week, he'll finally meet his daddy.  I can't wait for the two of them to get to know each other.

Update 1/27:  Timmy had his 6-month checkup today.  He's 17 lbs 2 oz (46th percentile) and 27 inches long (64th percentile.)  While I was in the waiting room, he bit my finger, and I noticed he'd cut his first tooth!

No comments:

Post a Comment