Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Timmy at 2 months

I believe last month's post ended with something like, "I can't wait until he smiles at me."  A few days later, he was smiling.  A few days after that, he was cooing.  About a week or two ago he started laughing.  At first I wondered if it was possible that he was really laughing at such a young age.  I was saying, "I'm gonna get you, Timmy," and burying my face in his fat little neck.  He smiled really big and made a, "Huh.  Huh," sound, like an extra-slow laugh.  Since then, he's laughed a few more times.  Sometimes he laughs at Delaney, who he seems to think is the cat's pajamas.  (He might feel the same way about Annie if she didn't always put her face to within centimeters of his, and yell.)  Just this morning he laughed at me when I was talking to him.  Just a soft little, "Huh-huh-huh," not a loud baby chortle.  So cute! I love my happy little man.
I love laying him on the "changing table" (a changing pad on my bathroom vanity) in the morning after feeding him.  I love feasting my tired bleary eyes on those sweet smiles as he looks up at me.  I play with him a little and talk to him when I'm done changing him.  I kiss his chubby, dimpled cheeks.  Then I'm like, 'I hope you understand, I have to plop you down in your chair and ignore you while I shove some breakfast in my face, drink some coffee, and check my email.  (I set my alarm for 45 minutes before the girls get up so that I can enjoy this privilege.)  Just sit there and be your sweet, quiet little self.  Thanks!'  Sometimes he complies, sometimes not.  This morning, he did not.  I was practically begging him to let me put him down while I drank my coffee, but he would not let me.  And he stubbornly held off on taking his nap until I only had enough time to get myself and the girls ready to head out the door.  Oh well.

Here he is with his pal, Delaney.
video
He is growing fast.  He has outgrown almost all his 3 to 6 month clothes.  I notice when I put him in the car seat, that his headrest needs to be moved up because he's taller.  He's in size 2 diapers now.  At the doctor today, he weighed in at 13 pounds, and was 23 1/2 inches tall.  He is fairly average in size, even though he looks huge to me.

He is getting better at holding up his head, and his core is getting stronger too.  He's no longer a pile of mush.  He likes to stand on my lap and stretch his scrawny bowed legs.  I tell him, "Slow down, Timmy.  What's the rush?  Just stay my itty-bitty baby."  I just looked through some old pictures of the girls, and I see they were doing those same things at the same age.  I guess I forgot how fast it happens.

We still don't have much of a routine during the day, but he's getting a bit more predictable.  He wakes up around 6:30 or 7.  About a half hour after he wakes up in the morning, he starts to yawn and stare into space.  I lay him down, and even on mornings when Delaney has school, he typically gets about an hour-long nap.  He has a few catnaps the rest of the morning, and then in the afternoon, he will usually take a nap that's anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 hours.  Then maybe a couple more catnaps between then and bedtime, which is 7:30 for him.  Most of the time he sleeps from 7:30 to between 1 and 3 for a feeding, then back to sleep until 6:30 or 7.  Sometimes he'll get up at midnight and 4 instead, so he isn't really set in a nighttime routine either.  I am fine with whatever he does as long as he continues to go right back to sleep after I feed and change him!

He is losing his hair.  I find a lot of his short little hairs on his sheet.  There is a band of hairless scalp around the widest part of his head.  It makes me smile because that is where he rubbed off hair as he moved his head back and forth, going, Where is she?  Where is my food source?  Will it grow back in dark or light?  We'll have to wait and see.

He is starting to show a preference for certain people, i.e. me, over other people.  At our little Bible study the other day, I laid him on the floor and my friend was talking to him and he was smiling at her, cooing, being very social.  Suddenly he got a panicked look on his face, his eyes got huge, and his lower lip came out in a dramatic pout that reminded me of this:
Best pout ever!  Delaney, 2 months old
Then his whole body turned beet red and he began crying frantically.  His cries had such a desperate, high note to them.  He apparently believed that his mother had abandoned him on another woman's living room floor.  Period.  End of story.

What a long way this little guy came in just a month.  I can't wait to see what changes next months holds, but at the same time I want him to stay just like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment