Friday, June 24, 2011

Blueberry picking

This morning the girls and I went to a nearby farm to pick some blueberries.  We were supposed to meet some friends, but that didn't work out.  I was worried that blueberry-picking by ourselves would be boring, but I was pleasantly surprised at what a nice time the three of us had.

It was so hot and humid already by the time we arrived at 10, that the lens on my camera kept fogging up.  We all started sweating, and usually in those kinds of conditions, I'm looking for an exit in about 5 minutes.  But instead I found myself not minding the sweat running down my face as I concentrated on finding the nicest-looking blueberries to drop in either Delaney's or Annie's little bucket.  Delaney loved the job of filling her bucket up, and she did not limit herself to the blueberries that were blue.  She preferred berries of all colors. and now on our counter, we have berries in every stage of ripeness.  Annie enjoyed it for the most part, but whined a little every time she heard an airplane pass over us low, or a truck rumble by on the highway, or when -- oh, no! -- she got dirt on her hands.  She is my girly-girl, that's for sure.  Delaney said, "I'm not scared.  I'm smart."  In the video below, you'll see my little harvesters picking berries and Delaney sharing her reflections on the task at hand, and on her feelings.  She has so much to say about everything.  It's cute.

video

We wound up taking home a grand total of 2.5 pounds of blueberries -- not enough to make a pie with, probably, but enough for either muffins or crumb cake.  Or they might just eat them as is.  

Remind me next time to bring a grocery bag to put their filthy shoes in.  I must have been somewhat dehydrated, hungry and not thinking straight because I let them climb in through the back, and they made a trail of dirty footprints all through my car.  I hate having a dirty car, so we wound up spending an hour-and-a-half at the car wash this afternoon, getting it cleaned inside and out.  I would have had to do that in a couple weeks anyway, but this is what took the place of a much-needed Target trip.  And the carpet still has dirt stains.:(  Time to trade the car in, it's not new anymore.  I don't know what I'll do when my kids start playing sports -- probably make them drop their nasty cleats in a trash bag before they get in, and maybe beat them with a broom to get any other dirt off.  I hate having a dirty car.  Did I already say that?

No comments:

Post a Comment