Tuesday, June 7, 2011

32 weeks

I am becoming quite cumbersome as I progress through the third trimester.  I look down at my belly and can't believe that the baby who now weighs about 4 pounds according to Babycenter, will more than double his weight by his due date.  I feel huge enough as it is, but if I forget just how big I can and will get, I don't need to look back too far for a reminder.
Today
5/1/09: 37 weeks pregnant with Annie.  Pay no attention to the hideous green headband.
It's been very hot here, in the 90s for several weeks already.  Doing anything outside the house causes me to tire out quickly.  I'm ready for my nap by 10 a.m., but have to wait 3 hours.  Besides feeling big, awkward and tired, I have no complaints.  I can still eat well, sleep well, and still don't have much swelling.  One time after eating one of my favorite meals, enchiladas, I woke up in the middle of the night with a vaguely unpleasant feeling in the back of my throat.  It took me a few moments to realize that it was a mild case of reflux.  Even mild is still yucky, though.  I'm going to have to be a little more careful about what I eat, how much of it I eat it and what hour of the day I eat it from here on out.

I am now down to appointments every two weeks with the midwife and the OB.  I probably mentioned that I was planning on quitting the OB by now, but for some reason I haven't.  Then when my midwife asked me if I could get my ultrasound report from their office, I was glad I hadn't already left them.  It would have been awkward.  So I don't know if I will ever officially leave the practice.  I'll just keep needing to reschedule appointments as it gets closer to the end, because I'll just be too busy.

Sherry paid a home visit this last time and that was a nice change.  I was really glad I had made my bed that morning because she wanted to do the exam there.  Once again, my fundal height measurement was right on for how many weeks I am.  I weigh 135 according to my bathroom scale, so that's a total of 26 pounds gained so far.  Oh, and then I went to the OB just today and weighed 136, so 27 altogether.  A pound a week is normal at this stage.  Half a pound for the baby, half for me.

Sherry brought up something that many women experience by this point in pregnancy, and that is cervical spasms.  As soon as she described them, I said, "Oh my gosh!  That's what that sharp, stabbing pain was!"  While I was in Florida, and even for a few days before that, I would have a pain in my cervix that would stop me in my tracks.  It felt like a sharp kick.  I blamed the baby.  He is partially to blame.  As the baby's head gets bigger, it puts more pressure on the cervix, causing it to contract, and to begin dilating and effacing a little.  At least that's how I understood it from Sherry.  She said the first few times it happens, it can be quite painful.  So I wonder if that means it continues to happen without my feeling it quite so much, because other than the smallest twinge, I haven't felt anything like that since Florida.  I'm sure it does continue to happen, because the baby's head does not get smaller as time goes on.  This was something new for me that I had not remembered experiencing with either of my first two pregnancies.

This month I am making a real effort to get prepared and organized for Timmy's birth.  I have a list and I'm slowly checking things off.  A homebirth takes a little -- no, a lot -- more advance preparation than does a hospital one.  But I'm getting there.  A lot of the things I need, I have already.  I just need to organize.  Also on the list are things like, "Install infant carseat base and move Delaney's carseat to the third row."  I'll wait until the last minute to do that.  I dread having to climb to the back to buckle her in her carseat.  She can buckle it herself when she wants to, and then I just give it a yank to make sure it's tight enough, but she can be lazy about that too.

We've finally determined that he will be Timothy Francis III.  For the longest time, Tim had said he didn't want to have a III because he thought it was too stuffy.  But it grew on him over time, and it definitely grew on me.  I told him it was up to him, but then when I brought it up again recently, he said he thought we'd already agreed on III.  Funny.

Right now the girls and I are counting down the days until Grandma (Tim's mom) and Auntie Karen come to visit on the 16th.  Can't wait!  I think the month of June will go by fast.

2 comments:

  1. Girlfriend, first of all, take those carseats to the fire station and have a fereman install them! You can even "supervise" him and give him specific preferences :-) You're pregnant and can get away with anything. I still don't know how you're going through all this without Tim. Big kudos to you, my friend.

    I'm so jealous you're getting a home birth. What a dream! No way I can get one after two c-sections. Speaking of, I can't remember if I told you but the reason Davey was a c-section was because of a prolapsed cord (complete freak accident, had nothing to do with the fact that it was a VBAC). So, make sure your doula/midwife has a portable heart monitor to make sure all is well. Not trying to scare you, just a suggestion...because my doula didn't have one when I was laboring at home and didn't even think of the possibility of something like that happening.

    Anyway, it's 7am here and just as I read your comment about chicken enchiladas my mouth immediately watered. Which is weird because there are very few things I've been able to tolerate lately (I'm 9 weeks :-) I figured I can tell you here because no one else that knows me read this blog, HA!!! Sounds like I'll be making a trip to grocery store to get tortillas to make some.

    Thanks for keeping us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Daniella! I'm so excited for you guys. And I'm honored to be among the first to know.:)
    Great idea, going to the firehouse to do the carseat shuffle. Now if I could get that fireman to come climb in the 3rd row and buckle Delaney in every time, I'd be all set.
    My midwife definitely has a portable doppler, and there's a hospital 10 minutes up the road if anything goes wrong.
    Enjoy your enchiladas!

    ReplyDelete