Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Annalise at 23 months

At 23 months old, Annie is as lovable as ever, and full of attitude.  She is expressing herself in so many ways now.  She can be so much trouble, but most of the time I want to squeeze her.

It makes my heart melt when she takes my face in her hands and gives me a kiss.  That is the sweetest thing ever.

She loves to play 'Ring Around the Rosy' and asks for me or Delaney to play with her all the time.  She holds up her hands and says, "Rosies."  Imagine her delight when we were at the playground and another little girl asked her to play.  Then Delaney wanted to play, and somehow the girls' mother and I also became part of the game.  I felt just a wee bit silly playing 'Ring Around the Rosy' in public, but I think Annie was in seventh heaven.  She didn't want to fall down all the way, and the other little girl, who was just a little bit older than her, thought that was so funny.

She loves to be tickled.  She says, "Tickle me!"  She's very ticklish on her belly and in her armpits.

She doesn't eat much besides cereal, crackers, pizza and raisins.  She and her sister both are the pickiest little girls on earth.  I'm hoping little Timmy will come along and show them how to eat.

She is a fan of Barney, but she only gets to watch when Sissy's at school.  (Delaney is the bossy older sister when it comes to movies.)  It's the first thing she asks for when we get home from dropping her off.  "Watch Bah-ney friends!"  She can put the DVD in herself, and enjoys doing that.  I remember when I used to say, "My kids will never watch Barney."  Why would I have ever thought, as a 14-year-old babysitter, that big purple dinosaur would still be around when I was having kids?  But now I can't help but hum along to some of the songs, and sometimes out of nowhere (only around the house), I'll start singing, "Colors make me happy everywhere I go.."

As we already know, she has quite a temper.  But she has been displaying it a lot lately.  One afternoon, we picked Delaney up from preschool, and Delaney brought home a bag of plastic eggs filled with goodies that she'd gotten at the school's Easter egg hunt.  In the kitchen, Delaney asked me to open a little package that contained a little bouncy ball attached to string with a ring at the other end.  I got it out of the package and handed it to her.  Annie grabbed the other end at the same time, thinking the toy was for her.  I had to take it out of her fingers and explain that it belonged to Sissy.  Annie flew into a rage.  Delaney ran, and she chased her, shrieking like a banshee all around the house.  She took a long time to calm down after that.  10 or 15 minutes later, she was still whimpering a little.  It is hard to be the little sister sometimes.  But I do have to say that Delaney was being a good sharer that day.  She gave Annie a couple of the toys, a piece of candy, and a sticker.

Her stranger anxiety has waned a bit.  I left her at the CDC (Child Development Center) on base for an hour-and-a-half the other day.  She didn't cry when I left her, but she was very quiet and I saw her lower lip sticking out as one of the teachers took her by the hand.  I thought to myself, 'Brave little girl!'  When I came back, I saw her contentedly playing with Legos with a little boy.  They told me that she had done really well and had had fun with the other kids. That was music to my ears because the CDC is a resource I plan to use a lot in the future, especially with Tim not around.  I get 10 free hours per kid per month there while he's deployed, and an additional 10 per kid per month just for doctor or dentist appointments (either mine or one of the girls').  I was also very relieved in light of how very badly it went the last time I left her in a drop-in daycare setting just a couple months ago.  The CDC is way better than this other place was, though.  The CDC has a limit on how many kids can come at one time, so it is much quieter and calmer in the rooms.  The kids are divided up into age groups, and there is a much better adult-to-child ratio than there was in the drop-in daycare out in town.  The CDC also seems much cleaner.  They make the kids wash their hands as soon as they show up, and you would never see ground up Cheerios all over the floor in there.  I really don't have a reason to go back to that other place at all.
I'm not planning to start potty training her until some point this fall or winter, but I've been noticing her thinking about it.  She has a Barbie Princess bath toy that she, for months, likes to say has pooped.  For awhile it was, "Princess poop!"  and I'd say, "OK, you'd better wipe her then."  And she'd simulate wiping her.  But recently, she's been saying, "Princess potty!"  Then I take one of the other bath toys and say, "Alright, this is her potty, put her on it so she can go."  So she does, and then we say the Princess is "all done!"  On occasion, if I see her trying to poo, I'll ask her if she wants to sit on the potty.  The answer is an emphatic "No!"

We've already gotten her two-year well visit out the way, because I had to get health screening forms done for the CDC and preschool next year.  She is 33.9 inches tall (61st percentile) and weighs 26 lbs 11 oz (59th percentile).  Very healthy, very average, despite her non-eating ways.

A year ago today:  Annalise at 11 months

No comments:

Post a Comment