Friday, March 4, 2011

Midwife visit

I had an appointment with my midwife yesterday afternoon.  You may remember that the last time I had a prenatal visit, it was with an OB.  This pregnancy is a little unique in that I see both a homebirth midwife with her own practice, as well as a regular OB/Gyn practice.  The reason for that is I've decided -- actually long before becoming pregnant the third time -- that I wanted to have this baby at home.  In my search for homebirth midwives, I discovered there was only one in my area, and the next closest was about an hour-and-forty minutes away.  Neither of their services are covered by our insurance.  So I chose the midwife closest to home after interviewing her and deciding she would be a good fit for us.   We pay her out of pocket.  I've also been seeing our insurance-covered OB/Gyn so that I at least have the bloodwork, routine tests and ultrasounds covered.  They have no idea of my real plans and I intend to keep it that way.

Of course, I didn't envision Tim not being present for the birth when I first made up my mind that it would be homebirth for the next baby.  But as soon as I found out I was pregnant, and realized he'd be leaving only weeks before the birth, I was not deterred.  If anything, I became more solidified in the idea that this baby ought to be born into the peace and security of our home.  I can't have everything the way I want it, but it gives me great comfort that at least I can do this.

My father-in-law Tim Sr. will be staying at our house from the middle of July to the middle of August.  He will be there to take care of the girls while I'm having the baby, and to help out with them before and after.  We're moving Annie into Delaney's room this week, and we're making Annie's room into a guest room with a real full-size bed, not the old air mattress.:)  I might even paint if I'm really motivated, because right now it's painted periwinkle blue and has pink curtains.  If there is any painting to be done, it will be by me because Tim will be either absent or too busy these next few months.  What's a nice color for a guest room?  Anything but the crappy off-white color that was there before.

At the time of the birth, I will have the midwife, her assistant, and the assistant's daughter, who will be my doula. I met her at this last prenatal visit, and she is an impressive young lady.  She's only 17 or 18.  She's the oldest of 11 kids, and helped at the homebirths of the four youngest.  She's been helping out her mom with births for a few years, and is familiar and comfortable with the birth process.  Her mom says she is a great cook, a great helper, and is basically her household manager.  She will come out with her mom and the midwife, and stay for three to five days afterward to help me out.

My mom will come for a week in August, and that will be really nice.

I don't really know if I am adequately prepared mentally and emotionally for becoming the sole head of our household and having a baby about a month after Tim leaves.  But I am at least starting to relax a little, knowing all the support I'll have, and how far I've gotten in planning how this will go.

As far as the visit went, my weight has been holding steady for a couple weeks at 121, so a total of 12 pounds gained.  I am doing well, the baby is growing well, just floating around and kicking all the time.  I had one complaint, that I've been tired and crabby every afternoon, and needing my hour + long nap more than I like to admit.  The midwife wanted to prick my finger to test my iron level again.  (She did it last visit and it was in the normal range.)  I begged out of it this time, because for some reason I really dread and hate a finger prick worse than anything.  Needles don't scare me, but someone pricking my finger and squeezing the blood out does.  I was encouraged to eat more iron-rich foods and increase my exercise.  In fact, the midwife strongly encouraged that in addition to my evening sessions on the treadmill, I should get the girls out for a walk first thing in the morning after breakfast.  To my surprise, I tried it this morning and liked it.  I'm not a morning person, but I enjoyed the brisk walk in the cool morning air, and with both the girls in the stroller, it was quick and easy.

As I left, the midwife's assistant said with a smile, "Remember, more leafy greens means no finger prick next time."  Produce section, here I come!

So that's my story so far.  I will be sure to update.

2 comments:

  1. I know you don't like spinach for your greens and I've been getting sick of it lately too. So yesterday I made a smoothie with banana, frozen strawberries, juice and a lot of frozen spinach. I couldn't even taste the spinach! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been eating spinach salads, but the smoothie sounds a lot yummier. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete