Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Delaney at 3 years, 8 months

Her expression here reminds me of her baby pictures.
I'm sorry to say that I don't think I have it in me right now to write my usual monthly update.  I have been preoccupied these past few days, and suddenly I see that today's the 8th, and Delaney's another month older.  I think what I'll do instead is share my favorite pictures of the month.  I'll have to try and make it up to her next month.

There has been one change in Delaney this month, and I'm not terribly happy about it.  She now gets sad when I drop her off at preschool, like she doesn't want to be there.  This started a couple weeks ago, with some mild protests and clinging at drop-off time.  Then today, she followed me out into the hall when I left, and it took a few minutes for me to extricate myself, with both the teacher and me trying to tempt her with all sorts of things.  "You want to feed the fish?"  "You want a special treat when I come pick you up?"  She didn't cry, but she looked like she was going to.  She just said she wanted to go home.  Then she and her teacher walked me to the door, and I saw her at the window looking sad as I waved goodbye.  When I came to pick her up later, I asked how she'd been after I'd left.  I was told she was perfectly fine, happy as could be, her usual self.  When Tim asked her about it later, Delaney just said she got "scared" when it was time for me to go.  I guess it's just a phase.  Hopefully it doesn't get any worse!

I did tell the teachers that I'm wondering if this could be her reaction to her daddy's impending deployment, which is now happening quite a bit sooner than originally planned -- April instead of July.  (Semper Gumby!)  We talk about it between ourselves, we talk to her about it, and we don't think she gets it.. but maybe she does, at least a little.  As Mom tells me, kids are intuitive.  They may not always understand, but a lot of times they just know.

This post feels very disjointed with its happy pictures and not-quite-so-happy story to go with them.  There have been lots of happy times with Delaney this month too.  But this is the best I can do right now.

See what I mean?  Those were the days when she always looked at me when I took a picture.
You wouldn't know it looking at this photo, but Delaney still tells us about once a day that she doesn't "want Annie anymore."

No comments:

Post a Comment