Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I'll have to change my blog title

And that is just too bad because it took me a really long time to think of a title as clever as this one (haha).  We are expecting another little one around the end of July.  I am still a little bit in shock about this, even though we've known since a couple days before Thanksgiving.  We knew we wanted a third baby, but not one with this particular due date.  Tim is set to leave on the MEU in July, after all.  But about two days after we'd had our discussion about waiting to try until spring, I bought a dollar store pregnancy test (you have to ask for them at the counter now -- only a little awkward) and took it just to reassure myself.  The other line appeared instantly, even in the middle of the afternoon.  Not even a moment's hesitation.  Oops.

When I told Tim later that day, I was laughing and he couldn't tell that I was serious at first.  When he realized I was serious, he was giddy.  Throughout the rest of that evening and the next two days, from time to time he would just look at me and laugh, then high-five me.  I would roll my eyes at him, but high-five back.  Then I'd say, "I can't believe you did this to me!"

So far this pregnancy, the only symptom I notice is FATIGUE.  I loved my sleep before, but now I nap just about every day during the girls' nap/quiet time, and my eyes get heavy around 9:30 every night.  I think I've been able to stay up through one movie since finding out I was pregnant.  I have not been suffering with nausea this time, and I'm attributing it to a daily 100 mg of B6.  Or maybe my luck has changed.  I never had bad morning sickness with either of the other pregnancies -- just enough nausea and food and smell aversions to make eating a real chore.

I really miss spicy tuna rolls.  When we order sushi, I have to have all the things that DON'T contain raw fish.  So when we get sushi, I get to watch Tim eat the spicy tuna.  He told me next time he'll be sure to order two spicy tuna rolls so he can have one for me too.  Isn't that nice of him?  He already drinks my share of the wine.  He is a very thoughtful man.

We told our families at Christmas.  On Christmas Eve, we Skyped for the first time ever with my family while they were having their Christmas Eve celebration.  I wanted everybody there.  It was pretty funny.  My family, Skype rookies that they are, all had their faces mooshed together in front of the camera.  Everyone was talking at once, no one could get a word in edgewise.  (I think that's how our first Skype sessions were with Tim's family too.)  Twice I said loudly, "There's something we want to tell you."  Everyone just kept talking.  I looked over at Tim a couple times, like, now what?  Then he got a brilliant idea.  He held a piece of paper up to the camera that said, "Guess what?"  Then he flipped it over to where he had written, "We're pregnant."

On Christmas Day, after Carolyn and Karen's arrival, we Skyped with the rest of the family in Massachusetts, and told them.  Karen said, "I knew you were pregnant!  I could see it as soon as you walked up to me in the airport."  Just shy of 9 weeks at the time, I already had a little belly.  As my sister-in-law Sam pointed out, that's what happens when you're having the third baby!

I've been told I can expect many visits this summer after the baby arrives, and for that I am very grateful.  Everyone we've told is happy for us, and we know they think we're a little crazy too.

Yesterday I had my first prenatal appointment with my midwife.  We got to hear the baby's heartbeat for a few seconds, before he/she moved away.  I was 10 weeks 2 days yesterday, and the baby is still very tiny, so I was glad to be able to hear if for only a few seconds.  We also heard the baby move.  So it finally seems real.  I've gained four pounds.  Tonight I start prenatal yoga. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. I know I'm not your family, but I'm feeling ecstatic for all four of you! You might just have to change the blog name to "The Five of Us" or "Party of Five" or not. Or have the IIII with a line across it (I'm going blank on the term...you know what I mean). Or just roman numeral 5, a big ol V. HA!!!! I'll stop now. Hope the exhaustion passes soon. Very glad you don't have morning sickness! That's the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so exciting!! I'd be thrilled as well. You know what they say, things happen for a reason :) Congrats on your new addition!!

    (Oh and random, but I am Carolyn and my mom is Karen, so when I read those two names it kinda startled me for a second!)

    ReplyDelete