Monday, January 24, 2011

Back from the dentist

The girlies back from the dentist.  Delaney is holding up her little fish and her teeny-weeny lizard she got.
I took both the girls to the dentist this morning at 8.  8 -- what was I thinking?  But it turned out I was glad to get it over with first thing.

It was Delaney's second time at the dentist, and Annie's first.  You may recall, I've been very worried about Annie's teeth lately, so I was anxiously awaiting the day of this appointment.  I took them to a pediatric dentist, and while I filled out the paperwork in the waiting room, the girls got a kick out of the artwork on the ceiling. I thought it was very clever too -- hulls of boats, fish, belly of a turtle, even swimming duck feet.  Like being underwater and looking up.

I was a little disappointed to find out I had to accompany them to the exam room.  What?  You're the one being paid to do the work!  I'd hoped I could just sit out there and read magazines while they worked their magic.  I said, "Will there be sedation involved?"  The nurse asked, "For you or for them?"  "Me, of course!"

Delaney had her turn first in the big orange chair with Dr. Bob.  She was very unsure about laying her head back onto the pillow.  She didn't want to do that at all.  But with a little coaxing she did, and I held her hand.  The exam and cleaning went very quickly and smoothly from there.  No cavities!  The nurse let her pick a few toys out of a drawer afterward, a toothbrush and Spongebob toothpaste.  She was thrilled.

Then came Annie's turn.  On her paperwork, I had checked "no" when asked if she would be a cooperative patient.  They were not at all worried.  Dr. Bob went to look at another kid's mouth, while the nurse explained to me how they would handle Annie.  "What we're going to do is a lap dance."  A wha...?  "Oh, sorry, I meant 'lap exam', I don't know why I said that.  Must be all the stupid movies I watch every weekend."  Don't want to know!  I laughed and said, "It's an interesting business you're running here."

The lap exam would consist of Annie sitting on my lap facing me, and her head on Dr. Bob's lap, while I held her hands.  As I knew she would, she cried and squirmed the whole way through it.  Her wide open mouth made it easy for him to see all her teeth.  I pointed out what I thought were the problem teeth.  He said, "They're fine, perfectly healthy."  "You mean they're not decaying, and the enamel is not coming off?"  He explained that the discoloration was staining caused by harmless bacteria living in the mouth, and was normally associated with newly erupted teeth.  As I sat and watched, he polished them up, pearly-white, good as new.  He told me if I wanted to, I could put a little bit of baking soda on a toothbrush and that would take it off too.

So that pediatric nurse had no idea what she was talking about, and had us all worried over nothing.  If I see her again at Annie's 2-year checkup, I will be sure to tell her.  Please don't give any dental advice.  Stick to what you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment