Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Delaney at three years, five months

Pretending is Delaney's  favorite thing to do.  She never misses an opportunity to play pretend.  One time, she  was on the potty going number 2, and I asked her if she was done.  She said, "No, this poopy needs some family."  "He does?"  "Yeah, here come some babies... and here comes the daddy...  Mama, why are you laughing?"

Out in the yard, she'll say, "You can see dinosaurs in your imagination."  Pointing to the trees, she'll say, "Look, it's a brachiosaurus!"  Brachiosaurus is her favorite.  In the children's section of the library, I chuckled when I heard her tell another kid, "I'll be back in a jiffy.  I gotta track some dinosaurs!"  She's still on her dinosaur kick.  Santa will certainly be bringing dinosaurs this year.

We had Delaney's first ever parent-teacher conference this month.  Ms. Melissa showed us the work Delaney's been doing with letters.  We got to see where she traced the first couple letters in the row well, and then just started scribbling.  She loses interest quickly, which is to be expected.  They described Delaney in her progress report as a sweet and loving child who recognizes all the letters, numbers and shapes they've covered so far.

Tim and I were told that sometimes Delaney has trouble with listening and following instructions, especially when it comes to -- ahem -- clean up time.  We said, "No way, not our kid!":)  But at least it's not just Delaney.  One day I walked in to pick Delaney up and Ms. Mary was telling all the kids they'd better help clean up or there'd be no toys on Thursday.  I don't know why I thought preschool teachers have special techniques for getting kids to cooperate, and they didn't have to resort to using the same threats I do.

Rarely is Delaney fully dressed if she's at home.  She just loses her clothes gradually while running around the house -- a shoe here, a sock there, and on and on until she's in just her underwear.  Our thermostat is only set to 68.  It makes me cold just to look at her!

Delaney will happily play with her sister in the playroom for a long time, but she always invites me to come up and "stay for a little while."  We'll play with puzzles together, they'll dance to the tune of one of the music-making toys, or maybe have a little game of hide-and-seek.  I might have other things that need to be done, but I try to remember how important it is to drop everything else and just be with them sometimes.  A co-worker of mine told me when I was pregnant with Delaney to remember to have fun with them when they still want to have fun with me.  I revisited that long-ago conversation recently while reading through Delaney's pregnancy journal, and that advice meant so much more to me now than it did when I was in the nursery-planning stage.  I made a little promise to myself to play more often when Delaney asks me to.

A year ago today: Delaney at two years, five months

No comments:

Post a Comment