Thursday, October 14, 2010

Wah

It's been a month, more or less, since we our crazy summer ended and we were done traveling, and ready to start living in our new house in our new surroundings.  In that month, we've gotten a lot done, a few fun little projects, and we've re-established normalcy.  But I have to be honest here.  Since the dust has settled and Tim's gone back to work, I have to admit that I'm experiencing some loneliness and isolation.

It sounds pathetic, I know.  But I'm racking my brain trying to think of a way to meet new friends.  Tim warned me that life here would be different from Quantico, and I would have to "cast my net" wider, if I wanted to make friends.  Living on base at Quantico was a situation that would probably never happen again --so many families in such a small space with so much in common.  We knew when we chose to live off base that this might be an issue.  As we knew would be the case, now that we live in the middle of nowhere, gone are the days of putting the girls in the BOB stroller and pushing them to a friend's house for a playdate.  We live 10 minutes from the back gate of Cherry Point, and about 10 minutes from New Bern.  Technically, we're not that far from anything, but I feel like I'm on an island.  These days, I might take the girls out in the BOB, or just out into the yard to play (if I dare!!), and all I hear are frogs croaking and crickets chirping.  If I walk them or run them around the neighborhood, I might exchange a wave with a nice old retiree every now and then.

When Delaney started preschool last week, I hoped that this would provide a new opportunity to meet other moms.  Yes, there are other moms, and yes, I see them every morning waiting for the doors to open, while I stand there with my girls.  But I don't know how to break the ice.  I am so shy, it's ridiculous.  What am I supposed to say, "Is anyone in the market for new friends, because I've just moved here and I don't know anybody?"  "Shut up, weirdo!"  My shyness is probably mistaken for aloofness, and it's high school all over again.

There is an upside to this: my house is consistently cleaner.  When I'm not farting around on the Internet, or playing with my little girlfriends, I'm cleaning something, dusting something, vacuuming something.  But I know that winter will come and it will get cold, and I'll feel the walls close in.  If I don't have anyone to laugh and commiserate with by then, my husband and children will have a tiresome grouch on their hands.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear. Hugs to you, friend! I'm sorry that you're having a tough time. I felt that way when we lived in Fairfax for a year, in an apartment.

    If you ask me, though, I say you approach moms JUST LIKE THAT. I'm willing to bet my first born that most moms feel just like you; lonely and in need of friends. I know I fell that way, and did so when we first moved to Qtown. Do it! What do you gotta lose, right?

    ReplyDelete