Monday, September 20, 2010

Delaney's room makeover

First off, I want to say how thrilling it is to be making changes in this house.  We didn't make any changes in the Quantico house because it was base housing and we were only there a year.  It was really frustrating living in a house that was painter's beige all throughout, and hardly anything on the walls because why bother?  I think we've both been  looking forward to having a place for long enough to be able to make it our own.  There wasn't much we need to do paint-wise in this house -- just the little girls' rooms.

Delaney's room was item number one on the agenda when we got back from Massachusetts.  I love this room with the high ceiling and the big pretty window.  Before we came along, this room belonged to a set of two-and-a-half-year-old boy/girl twins.  The soft blue color worked for them, but we knew we wouldn't be keeping it around for long.

Before:


After:
This was several days in the making, and truly a labor of love for Tim.  We decided to stick with the ladybug theme, since we still have all the pieces for it, and we still think it's so fitting.  Tim thought stripes would add a new twist, and I agreed.  The plan was to do three of the walls with stripes on the bottom and a pale green on top, with a painted pink border in lieu of the ladybug wallpaper border that we'd used for her nursery in Massachusetts.  The fourth wall, with the bed, would just be solid green from top to bottom.

Yikes, sorry about the dirty window.  We cleaned the inside, but I guess the outside needs it too.
The stripes were very time-consuming.  Tim got so sick of taping.    The colors worked out well, but we found that the pink border looked awkward somehow.  Tim got the idea to use a thin pine molding painted white on the edges of the border to break it up a little.  He had never done anything like that before, so he had to learn as he went.  From time to time he laments that he was 32 years old before he ever picked up any kind of tool.  I think he's catching up quick, though.  It was a lot of work, and there were a few mistakes along the way (like bang!  bang!  crack!  uh-oh!), but when he was done it looked really good.  We thought about stenciling something in the pink area, but after we'd put the rest of the room together, we concluded that would be overkill.
These are my baby shoes.
The letters over her bed are the same ones Tim made for the original nursery, with wooden letters from Michael's, scrapbook sheets, and Mod Podge.

The vinyl tree decal is something completely new.  I just decided I wanted a tree for Delaney's room, so I looked online and I found this one on Etsy.  It was a little departure from the theme, with its owls and orange butterflies, but I love it.  I spent Annie's morning nap putting on all those leaves individually.  Delaney's not as impressed as I thought she'd be, but she likes it.

All in all, I think this is the perfect bright and sunny little girl's room that fits Delaney to a T.  It's still kind of a nursery too, I realize, with the baby shoes and other baby-ish details.  She'll be 6 by the time we leave here, and I don't know if she still needs to have an ultrasound photo hanging up in her room when she's that old.  But those are small changes.

We're waiting on a couple finishing details for Annie's room, but otherwise it's finished, and I can't wait to show you what we did there too.

3 comments:

  1. Looks amazing, Rachel! You did a great job! In must feel nice to settle and live in a house that desn't have boring white walls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep wanting to buy some decals off of Etsy...but I was afraid of the quality. I want something that will stick well but be fairly easy to take back down. Do you think they are reusable?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I wouldn't think these are reusable. I was planning on only enjoying them for 3 years. It will be sad to leave them behind..

    ReplyDelete