Sunday, September 26, 2010

The best dinner in the history of dinners

Cincinnati has two of the best Indian restaurants I've ever been to.  They were where I had my first taste of Indian food, and nothing else has ever quite measured up.  Several months ago, Tim came across a recipe called Pastor Ryan's Chicken Tikka Masala, and made it for us one night.  It instantly became a date night in favorite and we have had it several times since, most recently last night.  I always look forward to the carnival of smells in our kitchen -- onions, garlic, ginger, and all those herbs and spices.

When I looked up the recipe and read the article, I was interested but not too surprised to see that this Pastor Ryan created this recipe with his favorite Indian restaurant in Cincinnati as inspiration (maybe the same one as mine!).  I don't know how he managed to steal their closely guarded secrets, but somehow he did.  I am grateful to Pastor Ryan for stealing the secrets, and to Tim for doing such a good job cooking it up.

It can be as mild or as spicy as you prefer.  The first time Tim made it, he used half a bottle of garam masala, and it was pretty intense.  This last time, he used only a little garam masala, and it was mild enough to share with Annie today at lunch.  We agreed it needed to be taken up a couple notches next time.  But still, I told him while we were eating it, "This is the best dinner in the history of dinners."  I decided I must share it with you.  You're welcome.

3 comments:

  1. Where do you get the "masala" stuff? I've looked at the commissary and nothing.

    Didn't know you were a fan of Pioneer Woman! She was just here in DC for the book festival on the Capitol Mall. Sad, we didn't make it.

    Anyway, I'm impressed Tim attempts cooking (very jealous, actually) and will have to try the recipe soon, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We spend so much money at Indian Restauants...is it cheaper to make it yourself? It always seems like by the time you buy all the stuff it's way more. Any recipes for Makhani?? I dream of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dinner isn't cheap by the time you get done buying the fresh cilantro, ginger, the yogurt, the chicken, etc. We're just paying for the luxury of eating it at home!

    ReplyDelete