Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Delaney at two years, eleven months

Here's my last update on Delaney as a two-year-old.
I never believed anybody when they told me how quickly this would all go by, but I'm starting to believe it now.  This year has flown.  Here are Delaney's accomplishments of this month:

No more naptime diapers.  Big girl Delaney only has a diaper for bedtime now.  We leave the princess potty in there, and that's where she does her business.  As much as I wrinkle my nose emptying her "chamber pot", I realize this is as good as it's going to get for now, and much more pleasant than changing a dirty diaper.  She wants to wear her underpants at night too, but she's not ready yet.  Hopefully she will be soon.

Delaney went to the dentist for the first time this month, and actually had her teeth x-rayed and cleaned.  I still don't know how they did it.

Delaney enjoys correcting us when we're wrong.  During bedtime prayers one night, she reminded me I needed to fold my hands.  When I sneezed in the car, she said, "You need to cover your mouth."  Surprised, I turned around and said, "I did!"  Didn't I?  She's always watching, just as quick to catch us in our mistakes as we are in hers.  Since I know how much she loves correcting me, I've taken to changing words in her favorite naptime and bedtime stories, so that she will catch it and correct me.  She thinks it's so funny.  She giggled and said, "You're being naughty" when I changed a few words in a book she knows well.

By the way, she is also finally covering her mouth most of the time when she sneezes.  She tucks her mouth into the inside of her elbow just like we taught her.  Now, if we could get her to break the habit of picking her nose and eating it..

She loves to take photos, and she's kind of good at it too.  One of the things she wants for her birthday is a camera.  She's very consistent with saying that, when you ask her what she wants for her birthday.   So we're going to get her one.  Here are a couple of Delaney's photos, taken one Sunday morning when I was sleeping in and Tim wanted her to be entertained.  I love them.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again: thank goodness for digital photography.  If I had to buy film and pay for it to be developed, she'd never get her hands on our camera, and that would be a shame.


She loves to play with puppets, and has for quite awhile.  But the thing is, when I make Shamu talk, she starts telling him all kinds of things, like she really believes it's an interesting whale listening, and not just her mother.  She tells Shamu about her baby sister, and shows him all her toys, talks about her day.  It cracks me up.  Since she enjoys listening to what Shamu (or whatever puppet it happens to be) has to say too, I try to refrain from having him lecture her on how important it is to clean up her toys and share with her sister.  But sometimes I can't resist.

She has some funny new ideas. There was the time I was getting her dressed after her nap, and telling her about how we were going to her friend Christian's house for a little while.  I don't remember exactly what we were talking about at the moment, only her comment that seemed to come out of nowhere.  "Christian will see me dressed up and say, 'How pretty.'"  I was like, "What?  You silly girl!"

I don't think I've ever mentioned this before, but it's definitely cute enough to deserve a mention.  Several months ago, Tim started teaching Delaney to greet the Marines at the gate as we're going in.  He puts her window down, and she calls out, "Thank you, Marine!" as we're driving through.  I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment