Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Annalise at eight months


Annalise gets around much more these days. Earlier this month she began crawling and pulling up on things. I now have to keep an eye on her (*sigh*). Gone forever are the days of setting her down somewhere and figuring she'll stay put, or at least move at such a glacial pace that I only need to check on her every now and then every two minutes.  Now, it's, "No, Annie, the cords behind the TV are not a toy." The nerve of her, making me work harder!

Most of the time there's no need to worry -- it's Mama she's after, of course.  If I'm sitting at the table, she'll crawl under the table, then pull up on my legs, bumping her head on the table.  If I'm in the kitchen, she'll come after me and grab my ankles.  If it's late afternoon, she only wants to be held, and I put her on my back in the Ergo if I want to get anything done.  She's taking right after Delaney as a Mama's girl.  If I sit down on the floor, they both climb on me like bear cubs.  Poor Tim has to work hard for their attention.  Again, I don't know why.  He's way more fun than me, and he gives horseback rides too.  Do you think one of these days, they'll come to their senses?

She naps three times a day, usually -- once in the morning, once around the same time as Delaney, and then a late afternoon nap that we don't let last for more than an hour.   I now feed her solids twice a day, and she's doing a little better with them.  She has seemed extra hungry the last few days of this month, and she's been nursing quite a bit, especially as bedtime approaches.


I'm happy to say that she is now only nursing during the day.  I mentioned we were going to do the "Sleep Lady Shuffle" a couple weeks ago (that term is so funny to me; it invokes an image of me shuffling to her room at 2 a.m.).  For the first week-and-a-half, I stuck with the dream feed at 11, and then wouldn't feed her again until 7.  Sometimes she'd wake at 4:30, sometimes at 6:30, but I just took my post in her room and sat there. She didn't even act all that hungry, just upset that I wouldn't pick her up.  She'd fuss for about 45 minutes to an hour and then fall asleep.  I couldn't understand why she was still waking up, or why she wouldn't just settle into a pattern the way her big sis had so long ago.

Then one night I was so tired that I decided to go to bed a little after 8, and forego the dream feed -- just see what would happen and hope for the best.  She didn't wake up until 7.  She'd gone 12 hours.  I thought, 'This is too good to be true!'  And it was.  But it caused me to change my approach.  I skip the dream feed every night now, since it never seemed to consistently buy me more time anyway.  The past three nights she's been sleeping 11 hours, and 11 hours is how much uninterrupted sleep the Sleep Lady says they should get at this age.  Yay, 11!

She is such a slobbery mess all the time, we keep thinking teeth must be on the way soon.  But we've been saying that for at least four months now, haven't we?  She soaks her bibs within an hour.  In fact, she has a rash in the crease of her neck from excessive drool.  At least that's what I think it's from.  I keep putting Vaseline on it, but it doesn't seem to help.  I hope it's not fungus or something.

When she's being extra fussy and I suspect teething as the culprit, I give her Hyland's teething tablets.  The other day, I gave her a biter biscuit for the first time, and she enjoyed gnawing on that for awhile.  Her favorite thing to gnaw on is my finger, though.  If I'm holding her, she'll grab my finger and stick it in her mouth if I let her.

Look out, here comes trouble!  I love this stage, and I can't wait to see what the next month holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment