Sunday, December 13, 2009

Our new take on an old Christmas tradition

After the girls went to bed tonight, Tim and I baked Italian cookies, just like his mom does every year and has since, well, forever. We may not have made them just like she does, but they were very tasty and made the house smell good too. Not bad for a first effort.
Tim did the hard work of mixing and kneading the dough all by himself. It wore me out just watching! Too bad I didn't get a picture. I hadn't yet gotten the bright idea to get the camera out.
Then came the fun part of knotting the dough to make the cookies. I remembered that part from when I "assisted" Carolyn last year, so that I could write down the recipe and hopefully learn something. I remembered how everyone could tell which cookies were made by me last year. My cookies could have beat up her cookies.
The first sheet of cookies came out pretty funny-looking. Can you tell which ones are his? They look like giant snails. Not that mine are much better.


Tim ate the biggest cookie right away. Nice picture, huh?

While I finished up the last few sheets of cookies, Tim started icing them.

Here are some of the first ones done:

And here are some of the last, so you see, we learned as we went. I figured out how to make the cookies smaller and prettier. Tim initially made the icing too thin, and had to add more confectioner's sugar.

Now what do you think are the chances of me getting Delaney to eat breakfast when she comes downstairs and sees all those cookies still sitting on the kitchen table?

No comments:

Post a Comment