Thursday, December 3, 2009

Everything you ever wanted to know about how we celebrate Christmas..

.. but didn't care enough to ask:

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Coffee with Bailey's sounds good. Maybe Delaney can try some hot chocolate this year.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? He wraps them, and this year he was done by the end of November, woo-hoo!

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? White ones on the tree, and above the cabinets in our kitchen. I would have liked lights outside the house on our front porch, but Tim said, "Nah." He's in favor of a more subtle display, like a front door wreath and a single candle in each window on the front of the house (and we don't have the candles yet, do we -- ahem -- Tim?).

4. Do you hang mistletoe? No.

5. When do you put your decorations up? We put up a few the day after Thanksgiving, and then the rest of them a few days later. We had to make a special trip for all the things we didn't have, like a big wreath and a (gasp!) fake tree.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? I don't have a favorite per se, but I love me a big Christmas Day brunch with eggs, French toast, sausage, and everything else.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? Riding home from Grandma's on Christmas Eve, listening to Christmas music on the radio, and looking out the windows to see if we can spot Santa's sleigh. Sappy!

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I was seven when a neighbor boy rudely told me and made fun of me for not knowing. I went to mom, and she 'fessed up the truth about Santa, The Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy. It was a very sad day for me.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Sure, why not?

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Despite the fact we have a curious two-year-old and a pre-crawler around, we set up a Christmas tree like normal. I took care to hang the delicate ornaments on the top half of the tree, and I removed hooks from the ones that kids can reach.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it? I dread it and Tim loves it. Our last winter in New England was a long one full of many days stuck in the house because of snow. I do NOT want to be stuck inside with two kids. But Tim can't wait to take Delaney sledding, and besides, he loves snow anyway. I try not to roll my eyes when I hear we may be getting some already this weekend.

12. Can you ice skate? Barely, but not since I was in high school. And it wasn't a pretty sight then, either.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? A Cabbage Patch Kid. People were beating each other up in KMart over these things, remember? And my Grandma gave me one on Christmas Eve when I was five, and I was soooo happy. I went from person to person all around the room, saying, "Do you want to hold my Cabbage Patch Kid?" I still remember her name -- Irene Mary Rose!

14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Reliving the wonder of it through the eyes of my little ones, and trying to teach them the real meaning behind it.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? I'm not too big on desserts, but I guess chocolate chip cookies, or just about anything with chocolate.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Visiting with family.

17. What tops your tree? An angel who unfortunately this year, looks dark and eery. Our tree was prelit, and there's no place to plug her cord in.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Lots of both!

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing." That's the one that I and three other newcomers to Tim's mom's side of the family had to sing as our initiation. It was their tradition, we were told, that those joining the family for the first time on Christmas Eve must sing a Christmas song solo. After we were done we found out that nobody's ever been initiated to the family that way. Ha ha HA!

20. Candy Canes: Yuck or Yum? I can do without them and have since the days when they would hand them out at school. We were just talking about candy canes at the library today, and about how awkward they are with that hook.

21 Favorite Christmas Show? A Christmas Story. I find myself quoting from it all the time as Christmas comes closer. But wait, I also love It's a Wonderful Life, and want to make a special point of watching it this year, and making Tim watch with me. So it's a tie!

22. Saddest Christmas Song? I didn't know there were any sad Christmas songs. That seems wrong, doesn't it, for a Christmas song to be sad? But come to think of it, I think there is a song about a poor boy buying shoes for his mother, isn't there? I guess that's sad.

Copy this post and fill it out on your blog. I did! (with the author's permission, of course)

3 comments:

  1. I love It's a Wonderful Life. We all have to watch it together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buffalo girl won't you come out tonight, won't you come out tonight, won't you come out tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ..And dance by the light of the moon..?

    ReplyDelete