Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Well, what do you know?

Our Delaney got sick for the first time ever last night. After a dinner during which she picked at her plate like she normally does, she began whimpering to be let down from her chair. "Oh, Delaney, for goodness sake!" I said, not knowing that she had real cause for distress. She went to the living room, to the TV, asking for her Dora video to be turned on. Tim said that we were taking a break from Dora, and he started walking toward her, thinking she was about to turn it on herself. Then Delaney threw up for the first time in her life. Tim was over there too, and while he was trying to help her, she threw up all over him. Then, as he took her to the bathroom, she made a little trail of vomit all the way there. Then she just stood there, nose running, but otherwise seeming fine. "Do you feel better?" we asked her. We just kept looking at her, and saying, "Are you OK?" "All better now?" We were shocked.
Before long, I had her settled down in her pulled-out Elmo couch with juice, crackers, and the previously-denied Dora video playing. Now that things were under control, Tim left for the commissary. While he was gone, Delaney had a bout of diarrhea. The first ever, I am not even kidding. She walked around for a little bit with her diaper hanging between her knees before I insisted I was going to have to change it. I laid her down on a towel because I wasn't sure what to expect. It smelled awful, and I felt something start coming up in my throat. Then I began to sing Delaney her current favorite song, the "I love you" song from Barney. She smiled and sang along. Then when I was all done changing her, she said something that almost brought a tear to my eye: "Thank you, Mama." She didn't have to thank me for that, that's my job!
Tim just made the connection that I had said in my last post, we bring the kids to the doctor where they can catch every germ around. It seems that Delaney caught a little bug, but after staying up an hour later than usual, I gave her a bath and put her to bed, and never heard a peep the whole night. In the morning she was fine, and I am very thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment