Monday, November 23, 2009

Annalise's 6-month checkup

We just got home from Annie's 6-month well visit. My little chunky monkey is 18 lbs 8 oz and 27 inches, 90th percentile for height and weight. I don't remember what her head circumferance is, but the doctor said that it is 70th percentile, so she is proportional. She asked me if she eats any solids, and I said yes, we just started cereal last week, and in a couple days, we'll be trying veggies, and go from there. She is still breastfed. She sleeps through the night (most of the time, anyway). The doctor also noticed she had stranger anxiety, which I've noted too, and she says that's normal, and a sign of intelligence. "You're so smart!" she told her.
She cried a little bit when she got her shots, which included seasonal flu. I was offered H1N1 for her, but I declined. I'm still second-guessing myself for that one. I've heard swine flu is on the decline right now, but there might be another wave. None of the rest of us has gotten H1N1 vaccine, but we've all gotten regular flu shots. I am very nervous about swine flu vaccine. Perhaps I'll research some more, change my mind about it, and then call the doctor begging for it.
We spent an hour-and-a-half total at the pediatrician's, and we were among sick kids in the waiting room.. ugh. Makes me wonder what the point of a well visit is, when you're taking your well kids somewhere where they're going to pick up every nasty germ around. I think I'll be shopping for a new pedi soon only because of that. By the time Annie's 9-month visit rolls around, they're going to be in a new office with lots more space, so I'll ask if they plan on having a separate sick waiting area then. It wouldn't bother me so much if I could keep both the girls on my lap or in a seat, but I've got Delaney. Delaney wants to see everybody, touch everything, and explore whatever confines she's in. A little boy around her age came in, and I heard his father tell the receptionist that they had come in a couple days before for strep throat, and now the boy has rashes all over his body. I can't tell Delaney, "Don't play with the sick boy. Don't even look at him!" I don't want to be a jerk. There should be a sign on the door, warning: "If your kids aren't sick now, they will be by the time you leave here." I'm saying a little prayer that is not the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment