Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mom brain is no joke.

I took the girls to Stop & Shop today for a few things I needed for dinner, as well as a couple staples we'd run out of. We were in and out in less than 10 minutes, and as I left the store I thought, 'So far so good. It's not raining, neither of them are crying, and now we can go home!' I got the kids out of the cart and put them in the car. Check. Ditto for the diaper bag and the grocery bags. Check.
As I prepared to back out of my "Customer with infant" parking space, I looked hard in my rearview mirror, then craned my neck to look behind and to the sides of my car. I'm scared to death of parking lots, I do not want to hit anybody, be they in a car or on foot. But especially not on foot. Finally, when I'd determined it was safe, I began to back up. Thud.
My heart was in my throat. Was it a car? A person? Then I remembered: it was the stupid shopping cart. I had knocked it over.

No comments:

Post a Comment